Is this safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage12

I got this from Zoey and Lilo’s toy box but it has something that looks like string on it. Is it ok to use? 4B07F0C3-EB8F-4460-8C79-DBC93C9F5F23.jpeg

I would e-mail them and ask what kind of string they use. Most fibers used for ropes/strings can cause issues if swallowed or too much is swallowed, even sisal, which a lot have used for years and is digestible in small amounts, can apparently on rare occasions get stuck in the gut if a enough is swallowed at one time or tangled in the gut if a long strand is swallowed. It's never happened to any of my chins or any I've personally known, but I've read online of it happening to others so I'd rather be safe then sorry. The only rope really considered safe now is sea grass rope (which that does not look like) since it's just hay.

It is coconut rope. So it isn’t safe?
Not really, there is a someone on a chinchilla FB group I'm on that had a chin die from eating a coconut rope woven toy thing or maybe a coconut rope hammock (I can't remember). It falls under the catagory of safe if they chew it up into tiny bits, but can be an issue is they swallow a whole string. The person's chin died and when they did a necropsy there was strands of coconut rope tangled in it's gut.

Back