Is This Organic Lavender Oil safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinkerbell2002

Oda for peek ahp!
Is this safe to rub on my chins ears do you guys think? because i've heard of rubbing lavender oil on their ears to calm them down. And even just so the chins can have a familiar scent to each other.

This is the description::

Certified OrganicLavandula officinalis spp.Aromatherapeutic GC/IR Verified As one of the most popular and widely used aromatherapy essentials, the fresh scent and calming essence of organic lavender oil is versatile in many popular applications. NOW Organic Lavender Oil is steam-distilled to retain high concentrations of Lavandula officinalis spp

Thanks guys!

If you're using scents during introductions, vanilla is the most recommended one I've seen. Lavender has antibacterial properties, so caution is needed if it's used around membranes like the eye. I'm not sure I'd use it on bare skin at all if its concentrated.

If I can ask, why are you concerned about scenting your chin?

I would not rub anything on my chinchillas ears..... I don't believe it is wise to do unecessary things like that. Chinchillas are not calm animals I don't see why people always feel the need to change their pets behavior.

The only time I use something to calm is if its a extremely stressed rescue, other than that chins are chins, you need to TAME them, not drug them. Taming takes time and patience, but all chins can be tamed.

It is my understanding that no pure essential oil should be applied to skin as it is so strong it could cause irritation. That's why they recommend using a carrier oil so I'd worry about using it. I also can't imagine all chinchillas would like a new strange scent put on them.

If you're using scents during introductions, vanilla is the most recommended one I've seen. Lavender has antibacterial properties, so caution is needed if it's used around membranes like the eye. I'm not sure I'd use it on bare skin at all if its concentrated.

If I can ask, why are you concerned about scenting your chin?

Just as for future reference when Ginger gets pregnant again so she's not always in a grumpy mood. I want her to be ask calm as possible for the babies sake. and i figured lavender or any familiar scent to reintroduce them to each other.

Reason why i want the lavender oil because when Ginger had her first baby i took Gizmo out and put him in a separate cage and it was just the mother and the baby in the baby proofed cage for week and than i put Gizmo back in and than she started to attack him. Pulling out his fur and so i took Gizmo back out i can tell that Ginger didn't recognize him for a bit but than when i put them back together 10 minutes later she was fine with him. I thought it was weird but could Ginger not have recognized that it was her husband? lol

So i just don't want another incident like that happening because i don't want to stress either of em out. Especially Ginger.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to after mother having the baby? Should i just not take the father out at all? Because i don't want the father to trample over the baby or anything which was why i separated the parents in the first place.. maybe i just took him out for toooooo long and i should have put him back in the cage for 10 minutes during the day? So i wouldn't have to get the lavender oil?

Moms by nature protect their babies. Nothing is going to change that. This includes from you, dad, and the scary shadow in the corner.

I thought it was weird but could Ginger not have recognized that it was her husband? lol
Chins beat each other all the time, that's breeding/pairing.

Ah, so it's a breeding question. There's a section of the forum for that where you can ask about reintroducing chins after a litter, but if you're breeding two pet store chins just to have cute babies and haven't done the proper vet/health checks, you may not want to. The users here that breed want to see it done properly, with the health and betterment of the animals in mind, or not at all. You *will* be asked about your decision to breed and how you're doing it if you post.

I would not use lavender oil on a chin. I would not use scents of any kind on a chin. Period. I also would not breed chins; I don't have the vet access, time, patience, and thick skin needed when something goes wrong. Ymmv.

I would not use lavendar oil on chinchillas. it will not change how she feels if she does not want the male in there she will attack. scented or not all the scent will do it irritate her further. I agree with the above about breeding. if you breed be prepared to lose them is all I can say. I just lost a female today to an attack. it happens, you would be amazed the damage they can do to one another. Is it really worth it for cute babies that don't improve the species...?

I do wish that I had taken photos of my poor rose torn to pieces, she had so many punture wounds and bites the IV fluids all came out the holes..it took minutes to happen. females will do that to a male, males will do it to females doesn't always happen but a different scent wouldn't have stopped it.

I thought it was weird but could Ginger not have recognized that it was her husband? lol

So i just don't want another incident like that happening because i don't want to stress either of em out. Especially Ginger.

A) Chins don't have "husbands" and "wives". They have breeding partners. In the wild, they will breed with whatever chin is deemed their best chance for survival. In captivity, they are bred with what best suits their flaws, and moved to another mate if the pairing doesn't have the desired effect (aka babies that conform better to the standards).

If you don't want to stress them out, then don't breed them. It's that simple. Breeding is stressful no matter what the female is. Cat, dog, human, horse, chinchilla. Pregnancy and breeding is stressful on both the body and mind. Putting oil on her ears isn't going to help any. She attacked the male because he invaded her space and probably what she deemed "safe" for her and her kit. Or he may have tried mating her and she isn't ready for that yet.

Can I ask what your purpose behind breeding them is?

Okay well i was just wondering because i read on here that people would rub lavender oil i thought that was kinda weird but i figured i'd ask but i guess there is no other way for the females to handle things i guess. And no i didn't buy my chins from a pet store it's no worries i actually bough them from breeders. But they're actually a family now the baby sleeps between them and all. So thanks for your responds.

I was hoping they wouldn't breed. Because some chins gets paired and never breed so guess i'm gonna have to go get my boy fixed. Just so that kind of incident doesn't happen again.

A) Chins don't have "husbands" and "wives". They have breeding partners. In the wild, they will breed with whatever chin is deemed their best chance for survival. In captivity, they are bred with what best suits their flaws, and moved to another mate if the pairing doesn't have the desired effect (aka babies that conform better to the standards).

If you don't want to stress them out, then don't breed them. It's that simple. Breeding is stressful no matter what the female is. Cat, dog, human, horse, chinchilla. Pregnancy and breeding is stressful on both the body and mind. Putting oil on her ears isn't going to help any. She attacked the male because he invaded her space and probably what she deemed "safe" for her and her kit. Or he may have tried mating her and she isn't ready for that yet.

Can I ask what your purpose behind breeding them is?

Any time you have an unfixed male and female together, regardless of the species (though obviously they need to be the SAME species) you have the chance for breeding and have to assume it's going to happen. If they are together again now, you have the chance that the female is ALREADY pregnant again, which is going to be even more stressful on her. If you don't want her to get pregnant, then you need to keep them separate until the male is fixed.

And I didn't ask where you got them from, I asked what your breeding purpose was. There's a difference.

I wouldn't be sure if any one actually uses it on this website, I'm only going to guess that you got the idea from the 'Back to Joy Drops' thread, I'm the one that suggested to use lavender or mint if it's safe for chins.

The only reason why I posted that is because I use mint and lavender oils when I'm stressed. IF you were to use lavender oil for your chins, you should make sure that it's not manufactured oil, as in from a store. It can be organic but if you put it on your fingers it'll give you this feeling that is different than what just water would feel, I can't really describe it any other way. That can cause harm to any animal and even a human if ingested.

I've never used oils on my pets personally. However if you want to help but ease to her mind, you could put lavender plant in the room that her cage is in, it has a potent sent, but it is an aquired smell, kinda like wine. You could also google aroma therapy plants and find a site that gives you the different qualities different plants can provide. However, always be certain that the plants will not be toxic to your chins or any other animal in your house hold. Smells can even be toxic in some plants so please do your research.

Aroma therapy will not tame your animals, just so you know; whether this is your intention or not. It should only be used wjen in serious stress or are very uncomfortable to ease the mind for the a short period of time, only long enough to relax and bring together composer once again. Don't over use where it can cause even more discomfort or it will simply not have an effect anymore.

ahh!

Ahh i see! Sorry i must have misinterpreted it well thank you for that And i do recall reading leaving it around the cage area that is a much better idea. Either way i'd try the smell does bring a sense of calmness. =)

I personally would not use anything with a odor around the chins, therapy or not. Chins have sensitive respiratory tracts so its not recommended.

Back