Is this mold?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears to be lichen. Which doesn't cross-contaminate. There are edible lichens and non-edible lichens. Toss anything that has lichen on it, keep the rest, find a new wood supplier.

If I ever get anything from anyone that is questionable, I just toss it. It isn't worth it for me to worry and wonder.

I agree, hence the question. I wanted to make sure if I needed to throw away all the wood and not just this one piece. After all the crap I went through to get this wood (waited over a month, then got the wrong kinds of wood, no emails from the seller....nothing) I didn't want to throw it all away unless I actually needed to.

Id vote to throw it. Who knows if it was even processed or if it was treated with chemicals as a tree? Maybe rebake it or microwave it as Riven mentioned. Ive never had to microwave wood so I cant say how long or what setting. Just dont ever microwave foil!

Is it possible they might have scrubbed too hard and some of the bark came off? :thinking:
I have that happen sometimes when I prepare wood (I scrub it really hard to make sure it's as clean as can be!) and so sometimes it might look like two different colors, but it is just where the bark was scrubbed off.
If there's only a few sticks looking like that, then I would probably toss those and keep the rest.
We had a dogwood tree by the way and it had grey-ish brown bark to it from what I remember. It's been about 20 years though since I looked at one up close. :confused3:

It's not. The light and dark is from bark coming off a dead branch. The greenish gray stuff is lichen. It's very clear to see.

Just another disruptable wood seller.

We have a saying in my house about anything in the fridge- it might be appropriate here too.

"When in doubt, throw it out!"
I'm no expert in wood, but why take the chance?

Back