Is this good hay for chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abianchetti

Hi, I have a five month chinchilla. In our local pet store there is a mountain grass hay they sell for chinchillas (photo attached).

Is hay supposed to look like this?(Dry, yellow)

I am looking through the hays people recommend and it seems to me they’re green so I am unsure if this is a good hay for my chincilla or should I find a fresh, green one?

Thanks!

Attachments

• FE9AAB03-4BDD-4B47-96C6-AB0E71485C0B.jpeg
    FE9AAB03-4BDD-4B47-96C6-AB0E71485C0B.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2
Yes mountain hay is good, it's pretty much the same as orchard, same grass but grown in a different area (the mountains ;) ). Hay can range in color from green to golden, depending on the harvest and if it got left in the field a bit too long and got sun bleached. A better way to tell if the hay is fresh is the smell, it should have a sweet hay smell to it, if it smells dusty or moldy it's no good.

Yes mountain hay is good, it's pretty much the same as orchard, same grass but grown in a different area (the mountains ;) ). Hay can range in color from green to golden, depending on the harvest and if it got left in the field a bit too long and got sun bleached. A better way to tell if the hay is fresh is the smell, it should have a sweet hay smell to it, if it smells dusty or moldy it's no good.
Thanks so much! I was worried about the color, will check the smell immediately!☺️

Good luck with the mountain hay :D I got a bag of it for my chins and they did not like it whatsoever and just left it in the feeder, eating basically around it lol
I hope yours like it better than mine!

Thank you! Are you using some other hay in that case? 😁 My chinchi is eating it just fine, I’m happy that he’s enjoying it.

I bought 2 different bags last time I went to the store, but I wouldn't know how to translate the names from german :D
Glad he likes it though! Maybe my boys are just picky

Back