is this ear mites/infection?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridahkilos

okay i know you guys are probably sick of me sending so many questions but i'm a first time owner and even the tiniest things make me freak out and run to google to see if my chin is healthy or not so basically my chin has dry ears from dust baths i saw someone say that i shouldn't apply anything on his ears aka no vaseline or balm and that i should just limit his bath time my problem is that his ears don't like dry it kind of looks like ear mites i've seen rabbits with mites before and it kinda looks similar i'll post a link to the video even though chinchilla's and rabbits are different and even though my chin poops just fine eats and drinks water just fine and isn't showing signs of illness i can't help but freak out since ear mites/infection are pretty serious here's a video i took of his ears: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2AE8fdlOa4/?igshid=b44piqsb7z8b if the link doesn't work the IG is called chinchillano7 i made it just so i can post the video

I'm not really noticing anything, but maybe it's hard to tell on a video. I don't see any redness indicating infection or dark brown grainy stuff that indicates mites, or anything. Is he acting like his ears are bothering him? Scratching at his ears a lot, shaking his head, tilting his head to the side, anything like that? If he is acting like his ears are bothering him I would take him to the vet, they can do a proper look inside. Chins should not be allowed outside, or in contact with other animals, so ear mites are not common unless you have another animal in the house that goes near or shares out of cage space with the chin that also has ear mites.

You can apply some bag balm to the outside of the ears, if they seem really dried out and flaky (they don't appear to be), but don't put anything in the ears unless instructed by the vet.

hello, no he isn't scratching his ears or shaking his head he seems fine also no redness or brown stuff i guess i just freaked out because i'm new to this also he doesn't share his cage with anyone and even though we have two cats they don't go near him because for some reason they're afraid of him i also don't let him go outside. thank you for replying to my question and for the balm advice!

Back