Is this cage okay for a chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatasChins

Hi!

I'm going to get my first chinchilla in a month or two, and I am trying to find the best available cage in Serbia, but there are not a lot of options.
I stumbled upon this one, and was thinking about if it was suitable for one or not.

I will list all the dimensions and the pictures in the following:

Main Material: Metal/Plastic
Secondary materials: beech wood (feet)
Dimensions:
Height (in cm): 80.00
Height with feet (in cm): 109.00.
Length (in cm): 77.50
Depth (in cm): 47.50
Internal dimensions:
Height (in cm): 77.00
Length (in cm): 73.00.
Depth (in cm): 42.00.
Other features:
Material of the set: cage with a wooden niche - a wooden stand - two levels with wooden ramps.
Instructions for use: for large rodents, ferrets, chinchillas, guinea pigs
Note:Bar spacing is 15mm

The bottom is plastic, which i am worried about, but the levels are wooden.
They said on reviews that it's not very stable, so I am thinking about buying the cupboard that can go with it.

What do you think? Is it okay for a chinchilla?

p.s. I wanted to buy the SAVIC Royal Suite, but it's very expensive and I cannot afford it.

1275197166.jpg015950.jpg41ie5zCwsLL._AC_.jpg

I would not recommend purchasing any cage with plastic. Plastic is toxic, and may potentially result in an obstruction if ingested. This cage is not at all suitable for a chinchilla.

I would not recommend purchasing any cage with plastic. Plastic is toxic, and may potentially result in an obstruction if ingested. This cage is not at all suitable for a chinchilla.
What if i replace the bottom with metal?

The cage is pretty much the bare minimum size for one chin, for comfort I would go with something bigger unless the chin isn't going to be spending much time in the cage (lots of supervised playtime everyday). For comfort you want a cage that is at least 0.34 cubic meters (12 cubic feet). I would also worry about the cage legs, they don't look sturdy especially for an animal that are very hyper and bounce around a lot, and you would need more ledges, perches, maybe a wheel and that all add weight. As mentioned the plastic bottom is also an issue, not only could it kill the chin if they chewed and swallow it but they could also escape, chins have chewed through similar plastic cage bottoms within a night. You could try covering the bottom in fleece, but if the chin chews fleece you would have a problem. If you could replace the bottom with metal somehow that could work.

Can you convert a large tall dresser, entertainment center, or large cabinets into a cage (idk your space restrictions) if linned with fleece/bedding and any doors removed in favor of metal grates or wire fencing framed with safe wood framed doors(no all wood is safe) it would give you a chance to personalize and leave you to make sure its more geared to exotic like a chinchilla.

It's not a bad cage, but plastic can be an issue if your chin chews. I have some chins that never touch a plastic cage and others that tried to chew their way out. You have to know your chin.

Back