Is this cage ok?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at cages online to buy and I have found 4 did post in another topic about three but I've found an even better one (the website is having a sale aswell so it's cheap)
product_thumb.php

It is 90.5cm tall, 64cm wide and 46.5cm deep. I read on a website (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the minimum size for a chinchilla cage for a single chin is 90cm high, 60cm wide and 45cm deep. The other cages I found where all smaller than this. Does it look ok?
P.S If the ledges are unsuitable I will replace them for wood and I will provide bedding aswell.

Is the floor wood? I'd worry about urine soaking into it over time...bedding or not.

The bar spacing looks pretty big too. You want it to be 1 inch or smaller for a full grown chin, half inch for young chins.

Just a note- it kinda looks like one of those small bird cages to me. I'm sure the dimensions and everything are what you say, especially with the ledges. It's just a weird style for a larger cage so my brain cant process it as bigger.

The wires look quite thin and would probably break easily if you attach a wheel or shelves. The weight of a chin running on a wheel or bouncing on the shelves will probably eventually snap those wire bars.

Yeah you're all actually right as I went to see a breeder and was told that the wires were too wide. I've decided not to get this one.

Have you considered building one? :)

You can get more of what you want, size, width, height, wire spacing, etc... And from my experience are often a lot cheaper than the pet store ones.

cant zoom in to see obviously, but im guessing you could make something nice outta that. Covering up the bottom wire, add some shelves maybe a second floor even. Nice hut. could be a chin resort in the making!

Are the wires/bars on that cage thick enough? Thin wires they will chew and snap. Even thick wires/bars mine often try to grind there teeth on. So you want something that can withstand that.

Yes the wires are quite thick. I thought the same but now I've put it together I can see they aren't thin. Also I have put a fleece hammock in there, is that ok or is it dangerous for them?

Anti-pill fleece is okay. The kind you get in pet stores that can be pulled apart and looks like pillow stuffing is not.

Back