Is This Bumblefoot?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

My chin that doesn't have surgery coming up for bumblefoot bled from one of his heels onto a ledge 3 days ago. The vet said before this happened that he just had some normal calluses, and he didn't seem to have any abscess either when I checked him out in the past. Only some widening of the heels from bad past ownership. He's never on wire flooring either. He's walking and eating fine. This is the wound now. Is this bumblefoot or did he just scratch his heel? I've been applying Bag Balm daily. Sorry for the low quality, he's squirmy.20200310_220424.jpg

Bumble foot is an actual infection in the foot, which this doesn't look like yet, just looks like a callus broke open, though the pic isn't the greatest. Is it just bleeding or is there any puss? Does it feel very warm to the touch compared to the other foot? If not I would just try to keep it clean, I think you said in another post you have some blu kote spray? I would use some of that, once it dries it creates a protective layer on the wound unlike the bag balm.

Bumble foot is an actual infection in the foot, which this doesn't look like yet, just looks like a callus broke open, though the pic isn't the greatest. Is it just bleeding or is there any puss? Does it feel very warm to the touch compared to the other foot? If not I would just try to keep it clean, I think you said in another post you have some blu kote spray? I would use some of that, once it dries it creates a protective layer on the wound unlike the bag balm.
I'm not sure if there's any puss, I doubt it though. He hasn't been bleeding ever since he first bled. I'll go check on it right now and give you an update on it, maybe a more detailed pic too.

Okay, I just examined it. No puss, more bleeding, or anything bumping outward like an abscess. It was hard to tell if it was warmer, maybe a tiny bit if not the same temp as his other foot. 20200311_095010.jpgHopefully that pic is better.

Okay, I just examined it. No puss, more bleeding, or anything bumping outward like an abscess. It was hard to tell if it was warmer, maybe a tiny bit if not the same temp as his other foot. View attachment 20883Hopefully that pic is better.
Yeah, probably just had the callus crack open, just keep it and the cage clean, apply a bit of bag balm to the area, and it should heal fine.

Yeah, probably just had the callus crack open, just keep it and the cage clean, apply a bit of bag balm to the area, and it should heal fine.
I'm assuming I just go ahead and do the blue kote? If yes, should I do a little more of the antiseptic spray beforehand? Also, how long should it take to heal? If it takes longer than usual, should I go to the vet?

Since it's not an open wound the bag balm is likely enough, you can do one apply of the blue kote if you want just to make sure you are starting with a clean foot though. My guys sometimes get small cracks like that in the winter when it gets really dry in the house, they normally look back to normal with in a week or two with just once daily bag balm. I'd bring him in if it doesn't look to be healing within a couple weeks or if it starts looking worse (actively bleeding, pus, redness, swelling).

Since it's not an open wound the bag balm is likely enough, you can do one apply of the blue kote if you want just to make sure you are starting with a clean foot though. My guys sometimes get small cracks like that in the winter when it gets really dry in the house, they normally look back to normal with in a week or two with just once daily bag balm. I'd bring him in if it doesn't look to be healing within a couple weeks or if it starts looking worse (actively bleeding, pus, redness, swelling).
It does have redness directly where the wound is but not around it, is that a concern? It's shifting to some more natural pinkness overtime though, slowly.

It does have redness directly where the wound is but not around it, is that a concern? It's shifting to some more natural pinkness overtime though, slowly.
Yeah the wound itself will be red, it's sore, but the redness should not be spreading and there should be no swelling.

Yeah the wound itself will be red, it's sore, but the redness should not be spreading and there should be no swelling.
Okay good, there's no swelling or spreading of the redness. Thank you for the confirmations, I was so terrified both of my chins had bumblefoot. 😓

Okay, I just examined it. No puss, more bleeding, or anything bumping outward like an abscess. It was hard to tell if it was warmer, maybe a tiny bit if not the same temp as his other foot. View attachment 20883Hopefully that pic is better.
What kind of flooring are you using??

Try a mixture of warm water and Epsom salts. Soak a soft cloth in the mixture and gently clean his feet. Be careful not to get his fur wet. Perhaps someone can hold him while you clean his feet. Do this 2x/ day.

Mix together a very tiny amount of triple antibiotic and cortisone. Apply a thin layer on both feet with a Q-tip.

Line the trays in his home with cotton bed sheets. Change sheets when soiled.

You should see an improvement in 3 days.
Keep us posted. 🐁💕👩🏻

What kind of flooring are you using??

Try a mixture of warm water and Epsom salts. Soak a soft cloth in the mixture and gently clean his feet. Be careful not to get his fur wet. Perhaps someone can hold him while you clean his feet. Do this 2x/ day.

Mix together a very tiny amount of triple antibiotic and cortisone. Apply a thin layer on both feet with a Q-tip.

Line the trays in his home with cotton bed sheets. Change sheets when soiled.

You should see an improvement in 3 days.
Keep us posted. 🐁💕👩🏻
I've already treated the wound and it's been healed for a while now, thank you for the reply though.

Back