Is this a good wheel?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madkatherine

Hi guys!
Soon I'll be fostering two chinchillas but I've never owned one so need your experienced advice :)
I'd like to order a wheel from local crafty people but not sure whether its surface will be suitable for chins. (Diameter is 40cm so a check here)
Not sure how well you can see on the picture but it's made with little dowels so the surface isn't perfectly smooth.
Do you think it may be an issue?
Thanks!

P.S. I can order a wheel online too but would like to support a local business + will be faster as it may take ages to deliver things to Lithuania.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191202-075426__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20191202-075426__01.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 7
The diameter is ok, but I really don't know how long a wheel like that might last or if it's even made of safe wood. It looks like plywood for circles, which is not safe. Depending on the kind of wood used for the dowels, most chins would chew through the wood pretty quick. Once the dowels start getting chewed the wheel will no longer be safe for a chin to run on. So it might only last a few days before it's unsafe to use. Ideally you should look for a wheel that is solid metal, I know some people in Europe buy tic tac wheels from the UK. https://www.tictacwheels.co.uk/ if that helps any. You can also make your own wheel with a large metal pan if you are handy.

The diameter is ok, but I really don't know how long a wheel like that might last or if it's even made of safe wood. It looks like plywood for circles, which is not safe. Depending on the kind of wood used for the dowels, most chins would chew through the wood pretty quick. Once the dowels start getting chewed the wheel will no longer be safe for a chin to run on. So it might only last a few days before it's unsafe to use. Ideally you should look for a wheel that is solid metal, I know some people in Europe buy tic tac wheels from the UK. https://www.tictacwheels.co.uk/ if that helps any. You can also make your own wheel with a large metal pan if you are handy.
Thank you for your response and recommendation!

You’ll need at least a 14” in diameter for a chinchilla. If you’re looking for adding for later, Pandamonium Pets on Etsy sell a lot of for small animals. It is in the US though. Goodluck

Back