Is the gap of the bars too large for chinchillas for this cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petran79

Unfortunately Ferret Nations Cages were unavailabe from the shop I asked and they only bring cages in my country 1-2 times a year. Looked for another large cage on Amazon from Italian manufacturers, but they would not export it to my country either.

So I ordered this

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-Tier-Cat-Cage-Playpen/dp/B07CMY5Y1P
Counting the number of bars, their gap and diameter and the cage's length, it seems they are larger than the 2-2.5 cm gap, around 3.6 cm. Will have to put a wire mesh around the lower parts probably in case they try to escape.

Ordered it from Amazon Italy for less shipping costs

Yes the bar spacing is way too wide on those cat cages, I've seen others have them before and their chins escaped very easily. The max bar spacing to prevent escapes is 2.5cm assuming they can't flex at all, about 2cm if they can. You will need to cover the whole cage, sides, doors, and top, with mesh to prevent escapes. You will also need to cover or replace the plastic pans.

thanks for the info. The cage I have is 2.5 cm and they do not escape, probably because they do not know they can yet, unless they become very scared. I'll carry the wooden equipment with me for the new cage too, so I'll replace the plastic.

I would have ordered the ferrplast ferret cage from Amazon but they would not send it to my region. It is also 1/3 cheaper than ordering it from local stores with transport fees included.

The only other viable option was a normal 2 floor rodent cage but it was separated by a metal bar ground in the middle.

Back