Is Oxbow Bad For Chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnhappyRefrain

I just read a post of NELA Chinchilla Rescue's facebook page that say's that Oxbow is dangerous for chins because they use cane molasses. I have no idea what to do since everybody else has told me that Oxbow is the way to go and the only pellets I have fed my chin is Oxbow Essentials. I'm so wound up. Please tell me whether I should switch food or not.

The Oxbow Essentials is safe. The amount of cane molasses in Oxbow Essentials is very small, it's also not a refined sugar so it's healthier then sugar. It's just enough to bind it together and make it tasty, but is pretty much the max amount of sugar that should be given to a chin per day though, which is why it's so important to not give chins any treats or chews with sugar since you are adding extra sugars in there diet.

So out of curiosity, what do they claim is safe for chins then? Pretty much all the high quality chinchilla foods, ones that owners and breeders have been feeding for decades, including to chins that have lived well into their 20s, have cane molasses in them.

The Oxbow Essentials is safe. The amount of cane molasses in Oxbow Essentials is very small, it's also not a refined sugar so it's healthier then sugar. It's just enough to bind it together and make it tasty, but is pretty much the max amount of sugar that should be given to a chin per day though, which is why it's so important to not give chins any treats or chews with sugar since you are adding extra sugars in there diet.

So out of curiosity, what do they claim is safe for chins then? Pretty much all the high quality chinchilla foods, ones that owners and breeders have been feeding for decades, including to chins that have lived well into their 20s, have cane molasses in them.
They claim that a brand called Sherwood Pet Health is better for your chin. I tried to research their accusation against Oxbow, but came up empty. I am so relieved that Oxbow is still the way to go. Thank you so much. And BTW, here's their whole rant if you are interested:rant.jpg

I have used Sherwood for about 7 years and my guy is in the best health and he loves his food. It is a small company that has extensively tested and researched chinchilla and rabbit nutrition. If you ever have a question and send an email to Sherwood the owner will personally respond to your questions. You would never get that service or quality or freshness from a large company like Oxbow in my opinion. Check out their website.

Oxbow Essentials is a great food. Their garden variety is dangerous and needs to be avoided due to tomato pomace (known to cause colic in equines).

NELA chin rescue (Dusty) is extremely unknowledgeable in regards to chinchillas. NOLA chin rescue (Rick) has over 20 years of experience and is an amazing resource of information.

I lit into Dusty for posting this BS and he has since removed one of the posts.

Molasses is used to nutritionally balance feed - it is an incredible source of micronutrients and used in small amounts as a binder/sweetener. We are talking about 1 gallon to one ton (2,000 pounds) of feed. It is a very, very small source of carbs compared to the other fun stuff found in commercial feeds like corn and grain byproducts which can make up to 30% of that weight.

Sherwood forest is a great pellet, I met the owners when they first started and worked with them to develop a chinchilla version. As far as food I recommend whatever owners can get fresh and keep in stock. I've been using plain rabbit feeds for 20 years now and have chins in their late teens to mid 20's. Just keep a simple diet with a pellet, hay and herbs/sticks for treats and you will get many years out of your chinchillas. :)

Oxbow hay and pellets have been fine for my chin Ernie, who is going on 12 years old! I've tried samples of several other brands and found none to be as high quality and healthy for my chin.

Back