Is my shelter NUTS?!?!?!?!?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LilanChilla

I recently went to my local animal shelter when I looked on their website and say they had gotten in several chins. So I called and made an appointment, as theywere an inhome foster case, and was shocked at what I found! The lady who was housing them had never actually owned chins before, but had had degus. She was giving them raw carrots and what I think was spinach. They are also eating kangeroo pellets! (pellet link)
http://www.pet-pro.com/Happy Hopper.html
She ordered them because a friend told her they were good for chins. Am I missing something here? Or is she breaking just about every rule in the Chinchilla Bible?
She was also housing chins and degus together. I didnt know what to do, so I am for sure adopting one, but I dont know what to say to the shelter manager, whom I know personally and am very good friends with.
Any information is greatly appreciated!
CS

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure everything you just said about what that shelter is doing is wrong.. lol.. I'm positive the carrots are a horrific idea.. Do you have a link to the shelter? Maybe I can help by adopting one as well..

I actually called some friends and got them all adopted. They also spayed the female who is 5 years old. I am writing a letter to the the manager. From what I gathered they gave her mazuri pellets to start out, but when she ran out she got this kangaroo stuff. I dont know about them telling her to give them veggies. I think it may have been that she thought that since degus get them so should chins? She was good at handleing them, they were very well socailized with her. I am still concerned and am going to make some phone calls in the morning.

That is just about the worst feed I have seen actually thought to be good for chins.
I don't see the problem, Dawn. It's a perfectly good feed - I mean, chinchillas are so similar to kangaroos ..... :wacko:
It's the little pouches that give them away. :rofl::rofl:

Seriously, though, all I can say is "wow!" :eek:

Well Dante with his skinny furless back legs when he sits up DOES appear to have kangaroo in him, kind of the same color since his fur is ozidized......

Kangaroo? How is that easier than getting chin pellets? If you like, you can give the shelter my phone number if they ever need help...I'm sure that any chinchilla breeder or rescue would be happy to speak with them. I'd just tell them to keep the chins cool and feed them good chinchilla pellets and hay, it's pretty easy...I don't understand why people sometimes make it so complicated.

Well Dante with his skinny furless back legs when he sits up DOES appear to have kangaroo in him, kind of the same color since his fur is ozidized......

:hilarious: Poor Dante - does he have a pouch? You may have to check & take a photo of two to prove the outcome. ;)

Come to think of it, can anyone imagine chinchilla kits in pouches? The poor mothers! :eek:

Wow, two animals hop and they must eat the same thing! Although, yes, I could totally imagine kits piling into the pouch with their wittle feets going all over the place....but thats because it would be adorable.

I am glad you got them. I am also glad they got them if they rescued them from a situation that was worse off than carrots and kangaroo food.

I didnt know what to do, so I am for sure adopting one, but I dont know what to say to the shelter manager, whom I know personally and am very good friends with.

Since you know the shelter manager personally and are very good friends, maybe you can gently enlighten and inform her about the proper care of the chinchillas.

Since you know the shelter manager personally and are very good friends, maybe you can gently enlighten and inform her about the proper care of the chinchillas.

that is exactly what i was going to say! ;)

Refer your friend here. Explain that the care they are giving them is not the best for chins, then have them come here and they can learn better. Kangaroo pellets are incredibly stupid. That was sheer laziness on the part of the foster home and idiocy on the part of the "informant." Anybody with half a brain could have hit the internet to find out what chinchillas eat. For Pete sake, the crap at Petsmart would have been better than that.

That woman should also learn about the proper care of degu. I can't even imagine the condition they are in.

I called her this morning and all the animals in her care are being moved. I voulenteerd to take the chins, I may also be ending up with the degus, better "hit the internet" as tunes said, to find out as much as possible about them. Any suggestions? I also talked with adoption cordinator who told me she was given a book on chins, and instructions on what they need. They had no idea she was feeding them this kangeroo stuff, they sent the chins with mazuri to her house. I cant figure out what she did with it because they have only been in her care for about 2 weeks and recieved a 50lb. bag!! I know this because I donated it(they dont get many chins). So when I lost my one of my babies a couple of months ago I decided that it was time to get a new one. I never expected this to happen.

She also told me that the breeder she spoke to to learn about chins told her they need fresh veggies. The list she sent me via email is as follows:
"alfalfa sprouts, basil, brussels sprouts, carrots and carrot tops, cilantro, collard greens, endive, kale, parsley, pea pods (without peas), raddichio, rosehips (vitamin C), squash (excellent source of vitamins) and wheatgrass."

sick sick sick. I thought I may be going crazy!

I was going to say that just getting them all adopted is only a temp fix for these guys, not for the long haul. I was going to suggest offering to foster, or at least getting them information.

I mean seriously... WHERE do you just go buy kangaroo pellets.

She gets the kangeroo pellets from moussori, made by a "little ma and pop shop." She cant find the breeders number, or where they're located at, figures. I now have four degus in my house, two have appointments for adoptions next week. So Im looking up degu care.
So from what I gather, they can eat guinea pig food for a while, but I should get degu specific food asap. They need an ornage veggie each day(no more than 1sq. inch each) they need a green veggie, not from the cabbage family. Do they get hay, they seem to like chin pellets, that is all I have atm, with a mix of they're old food. They are actually picking out the chin food. Going to the store as soon as I have a car. I have to use my moms because mine is in for an oil change, lol perfect timeing! I've got them in chin cages, with lots of ledges. They seem to climb, not jump like chins, but they are just as fast. What does anyone recommend for treats? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance, and for all your great advice so far!

Chinchilla pellets mixed with GP pellets is absolutely fine for degu. The GP food gives them the vitamin C they require. I've had mine on that mix for 3 years now and they are thriving. I give hay, hay cubes, and wood as treats. I'm not a big treat fan. I treat them the same way I treat my chins.

I'm wondering if the 50 lb bag of Mazuri that disappeared was sold somewhere along the line? I can't think of any other way for it to disappear that fast! Unless it was thrown out, but who throws out 50 lbs of animal food?!

I'm still reeling over the Kangaroo Pellet thing. Why is that even for sale? Who has pet Kangaroos?! I could understand if this were Australia and people were like..fostering them and then releasing them back into the wild every few months or something..(which I still don't imagine is a very common occurrence, haha) but we don't have wild kangaroos here. -sigh- oh well. Thank heavens you have them now, (Lilan? Lila? What's ya name? ;))
Really though, ferret food might honestly have surprised me less. I'm sure it's a billion times worse, but at least ferrets and chinchillas are similar in SIZE, and can both be found in pet stores!

I have no idea where it could have gone, and I didnt think to ask, unless she didnt get a whole bag? I dont really know why kangeroo food is available, but that makes me think that somewhere people own them. Could they sell to zoos?

My name is actually Carey, but my Dog is Lili and I love chinchillas, so its Lili and chinchillas, just shortend into something different. What really shocked me is how she thought chins were like kangeroos.... Scary!

Back