Is my chinchilla sick?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket29

Rocket&Bilbo
Hi,
Throughout the entire 3 months I've had my chinchilla, I noticed he doesn't have as much energy as my other guy. He'll sometimes stay inside his cage even when the door is open for playtime, or when he goes out he only runs around for no more than 10 minutes. He's more energetic at night, of course, and he'll popcorn and wall-jump a lot during those 10 minutes. I offer him more playtime and leave the door open, but he just goes inside and falls asleep. He seems be drinking fine, but he doesn't eat as much hay as my other guy either. I offer him apple sticks, timothy hay sticks, his usual toys (only two big toys because those are the only ones I can find that aren't destroyed within minutes), and tiny nibbles of rice pops (I give teeny bites that are smaller than his hands every other day or so.), but he doesn't seem to excited about any of them except the rice pops (out of disinterest I think, I'm trying to find him more interesting toys.)

Before I fostered/adopted him, he was in a private shelter for a year. Their cages were smaller than the one he has now, they only got playtime in a plastic ball (because it was a matter of safety since the shelter volunteers couldn't catch them), and they didn't have too many toys (cardboard is all I saw when I went there).

Should I be worried? The shelter said he was the shyest one who wasn't too used to human interaction, so do you think it's just because he's shy to go out? He isn't shy to hop on my lap, but if I get up he hides or goes back into his cage. Thanks.

It can take a long time for a chin to adjust to a new situation, especially if they suffered any kind of trauma at all. It sounds as though everything is chin like behavior, even if it's abbreviated from what you're used to. The important things are eating, drinking, peeing, pooping. As long as all of those things are happening normally (and chins don't all eat the same amounts), then I'd say he's doing okay at this stage. He may settle in/warm up given time or this may just be his personality. Just like humans are different, so too are chins.

Alright thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. However, this morning I found that he didn’t finish his pellets. I’ll probably take him to the vet just to make sure.

Definitely take him to the vet if he isn't eating. That is a huge sign of illness.

He eventually finished his pellets, which is making me think he just eats slow. This morning at playtime he popcorned, wall-jumped, and zoomed across the room. He’s chewed on the toys that were out too. Do you still think I should take him to the vet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. If he's eating and all other chin things, I wouldn't worry just yet. Are the poops normal?

Back