Ipod Touch 4

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

Hooked on Hogs
I recently bought an Ipod Touch 4 and it has given me nothing but frustration to the point that I'm almost wondering if it is defective.

First problem is the online users manual that I want to download to my laptop says "file is damaged and could not be repaired". The one through the ipod only works when you have Wifi access. What the heck good is that if you don't happen to have access at the time you need the manual. :hair:

There have been a couple of things I've tried to do that the manual gives wrong information. :hair:

Wifi range seems to be very limited. At home there are 5 wireless connections I can access through both my laptop and my netbook. The Ipod only shows ours. At my parents house there are 3 in range but the Ipod can't find any. :hair:

Tonight I was trying to register so I could download some apps. Even though I only want free apps, it still requires a credit card be given. Okay, did that, multiple times and it constantly tells me the security code is invalid. NO IT ISN'T!!!!!! :hair::hair:

This is my first venture into an Apple product and I must say, I'm not impressed. Does anyone else have problems with this thing?

My daughter got an iPod Touch in November for her birthday, she loves it and hasn't had any problems with it. I have no idea how to work it though, and don't even know how to turn it on!

Where you able to sync and register it at all on your laptop? I got my daughter the 4th generation iPod as well and she loves it and I never had problems with it at all. We even have facetime conversations. Hmmm? Sorry you're having problems but I LOVE all my apple products.

Wifi range seems to be very limited. At home there are 5 wireless connections I can access through both my laptop and my netbook. The Ipod only shows ours. At my parents house there are 3 in range but the Ipod can't find any.

Here is the thing with the ipod- it has a short antenna and less powerful battery so it is not going to get the range of a laptop that has a longer antenna and more voltage. It also will only pick up wireless a/b/g where many new routers (if they are not set up to broadcast all channels like mine is because my netbook does not pick up N) will only broadcast in wireless-n.
I love my ipod and my iphone (which is over 2 years old now and is just starting to lose battery life). Once you get used to syncing it to iTunes, keeping everything organized and up-to-date only takes a few minutes once a week or so.

Sounds like a sync problem. You might need a software update through the iTunes store. If that doesn't work, you can restore it to factory settings and try again through iTunes. If that doesn't work, I'd call the Apple helpdesk. I haven't needed their service myself, but the couple of brushes with them friends have had were very successful.

Actually the iPod touch 4 will pick up 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only). My daughter's bedroom is in the basement at the opposite end of the house where the router is located on the main floor and her iPod's wifi works just fine.

As far as the manual, I went to apple.com and clicked on the iPod touch user guide from here http://support.apple.com/manuals and it opened up just fine. You can save it once the manual opens on your laptop.
Or just go directly to the manual here http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPod_touch_iOS4_User_Guide.pdf

Thanks for all the replies.

For the Wifi connection. I understand that it can't be expected to pick up what the laptop does, but it should be picking up these other connections especially the ones at my parents as the distance is only about 50'. Also, we had bought my daughter one of the Archos 8g Tablets for Christmas and were playing with it and it picked up all the connections that the Ipod doesn't.

The links to the manual are the ones I have tried and they don't work for me. They give the message "file is damaged and could not be repaired". It's not my computer as it does the same thing on all the computers here.

I did sync it with Itunes and that works fine and I have registered it. I haven't done a software upgrade though so will try that.

Do you have an apple store near you? They can troubleshoot it for you and they can teach you a lot of things too - answer any questions you have. I got my iphone at an apple store and they gave me a quick tutorial of it when I bought it, and said if I ever have any questions to go in and they'll answer them!

I was able to open up those links without a problem on both my cell phone and laptop. I wonder if it's an update issue on your iPod as well but there must be something else going on if you can't open those links on your laptop.

Also, why does it keep telling me the security code on the credit card is invalid? It isn't and I've retyped everything numerous times and it makes no difference. Very frustrating.

The nearest Apple store is 2 hours away so that is no immediate help.

I agree with above. If you just purchased it, return it to the Apple store. You can make an appointment online for the Genius bar for them to take a look at it too but since you're 2 hours away, you can return it by mail if necessary.

Definitely upgrade to the new operating system through iTunes App store.

Also, if you don't have a lot of personal things loaded yet, reset the Touch to the factory settings and begin again.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

I am a long time Apple user of many products and I have, in the past, had a lemon so occasionally it does happen. Good luck.

Last edited:
Also, why does it keep telling me the security code on the credit card is invalid? It isn't and I've retyped everything numerous times and it makes no difference. Very frustrating.

The nearest Apple store is 2 hours away so that is no immediate help.

I definitely think a call to Apple is in order. Good luck.

Actually the iPod touch 4 will pick up 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only). My daughter's bedroom is in the basement at the opposite end of the house where the router is located on the main floor and her iPod's wifi works just fine.
Sorry, I don;t have the itouch 4, just my old 3G.

Even though I had the current version of Itunes and the Ipod was up to date, I did a restore on it and nothing has changed.

My daughter said she had a terrible time getting her new Iphone to accept the security code of her credit card but she can't remember how she finally got it to work. I have tried it through the computer and through the Ipod multiple times and it continues to say it is invalid.

I bought it at Future's so tomorrow I will take it in and see if they can figure it out.

Thanks everyone.

Back