Introduction

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madip

So my chinchillas were introduced this weekend. I was super nervous. At first for the first second it seemed kinda iffy they came right up to each other’s noses smelled each other then all of a sudden taco bops sheldons face and they started biting at each other taco chasing sheldon. I broke it up asap sheldons hair flying all over taco was barking (sheldon doesn’t really bark) sheldon breathing super hard looking terrified.

I read on here to never leave it on a bad note but I just idk how not to? I tried a handful of times to leave it on a good note but the same thing happens few seconds it’s fine then fighting.

sheldon seems open arms willing to be friends and taco attacks him. I’m not sure if it’s because taco is 7-8 and to my knowledge has never had a cage mate. Sheldon is only about 2-4and also hasn’t however he’s spent a lot less time alone than taco.

How do I go about this now? Is there a time I should wait? Is there something I should do when they start fighting or just pull them apart. I tried to just put my fingers between them so keep them from biting at each other since taco had a little scratch from sheldon biting back at him. I don’t want my guys hurt or traumatized from this although I would really like them to get along. Since this sheldon has been very distant. He will only come for treats or when I call him but the second I touch him he runs. What can I do?

Although yes you do want to try to end it on a good note, it's not always possible. When they fight give them time like a few days to a week (however long it takes for them to go back to acting normal), to cool down and hopefully forget about the fight. So it looks like you may be in for the long haul to try to get them to get along, if they ever do. It is possible that although Sheldon wants a friend Taco doesn't, but I wouldn't stop trying just yet.

Since it sounds like Taco is starting it, what you can try is clipping Taco's whiskers back, just so they are noticeably shorter then Sheldon's (they will grow back) before putting them together again. It can help knock Taco down a peg since it will cause him to loose some confidence and not feel so dominate.

Although yes you do want to try to end it on a good note, it's not always possible. When they fight give them time like a few days to a week (however long it takes for them to go back to acting normal), to cool down and hopefully forget about the fight. So it looks like you may be in for the long haul to try to get them to get along, if they ever do. It is possible that although Sheldon wants a friend Taco doesn't, but I wouldn't stop trying just yet.

Since it sounds like Taco is starting it, what you can try is clipping Taco's whiskers back, just so they are noticeably shorter then Sheldon's (they will grow back) before putting them together again. It can help knock Taco down a peg since it will cause him to loose some confidence and not feel so dominate.
Like trim them? Will it hurt him? His whiskers are forsure very long. Much longer than sheldons.

Like trim them? Will it hurt him? His whiskers are forsure very long. Much longer than sheldons.
Yes trim them, I don't think it hurt them (though some people disagree), whiskers are just hair so I don't see how it would be painful. Chins will chew each other's whiskers off, for example it's fairly common for a mother to do it to her kits if they are getting to full of themselves. Obviously don't cut them completely off, make sure you leave like an inch or so (some people say half an inch to an inch but I think that's too short), in a chin's mind it seems the one with the longest whiskers is the boss, lol. It might hurt his pride and make him less confident but that is it, and as I said they do grow back.

Yes trim them, I don't think it hurt them (though some people disagree), whiskers are just hair so I don't see how it would be painful. Chins will chew each other's whiskers off, for example it's fairly common for a mother to do it to her kits if they are getting to full of themselves. Obviously don't cut them completely off, make sure you leave like an inch or so (some people say half an inch to an inch but I think that's too short), in a chin's mind it seems the one with the longest whiskers is the boss, lol. It might hurt his pride and make him less confident but that is it, and as I said they do grow back.
Okay I will try this. Do you think I should do it now then give it a week for them to chill out?

Back