Introducing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

Madip

As I’ve said before I have now my two chinchillas. Sheldon has been my baby and now taco. They have been separate since I got taco in their own cages. In 6 days it will be the 30 day quarantine since we welcomed taco. I would love toget them introduced.

Obviously times are a little crazy right now with the lock downs. Taco has not been to a first vet visit yet since everything going on also I didn’t want to stress him too much when I first got him. He seems overall healthy. He is super friendly and I think even more active than my younger chin.

Would it be a bad idea to introduce them before they are both initially seen by the vet for a check up even though they both seem healthy??

Amethyst

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it'd be ok, 30 days is normally enough time for anything contagious to show up, which is why 30 days is the amount of time recommended. I would still try to get Taco into the vet as soon as you can after the lock down is over to check for any other issues you may not know about.

Madip

Perfect sounds good 😁. What exactly would be signs of them not getting along??

Amethyst

Super Moderator
Staff member
Perfect sounds good 😁. What exactly would be signs of them not getting along??
Signs of not getting along would be things like excessive chasing (more the a few minutes), biting, barking, fur slips, excessive mounting, things like that. When first putting them together it's best to only do like 5-10 minutes at a time at most, in a neutral play area. You want to try to have them to end playtime on a good note.

Madip

Signs of not getting along would be things like excessive chasing (more the a few minutes), biting, barking, fur slips, excessive mounting, things like that. When first putting them together it's best to only do like 5-10 minutes at a time at most, in a neutral play area. You want to try to have them to end playtime on a good note.
I let taco out for play time to day and didn’t block off Sheldon's cage So he could see him. Taco approached the cage really curious and Sheldon immediately ran to see what was up. They kinda sniffed eachother for a second and Sheldon reached his paw thru the cage boopped taco and they started kinda biting at each other.

obviously I separated them. I was wondering is it because one was in a cage and the other not? Or maybe they just were like wtf. Right now I have them switched cages while they are dirty hoping the get familiar with each others scents.
Any thoughts, opinions, recommendations? I’ve never introduced chinchillas before and I’m getting more and more nervous they will hate each other.

Amethyst

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not really advised to let them go up to each other's cages when one is in and the other out, chins can be territorial. I guess think of it like a neighbor coming by and peaking in your windows, lol. The possibility of a territorial issue is also why it's best to try to do intros in a neutral area, one that neither sees as their territory.

Madip

It's not really advised to let them go up to each other's cages when one is in and the other out, chins can be territorial. I guess think of it like a neighbor coming by and peaking in your windows, lol. The possibility of a territorial issue is also why it's best to try to do intros in a neutral area, one that neither sees as their territory.
So would you recommend me to like take them to a completely different room that neither has been?

Amethyst

Super Moderator
Staff member
So would you recommend me to like take them to a completely different room that neither has been?
If possible yes, but I understand that isn't always possible. At most put out new toys during playtime or stuff you only put out when they are together. You can also try putting out some hay or treats or even a bowl of pellets for them to share, and putting out the dust bath for them to bathe together.

Madip

If possible yes, but I understand that isn't always possible. At most put out new toys during playtime or stuff you only put out when they are together. You can also try putting out some hay or treats or even a bowl of pellets for them to share, and putting out the dust bath for them to bathe together.
Perfect I will try all of this this weekend !

Latest posts