Introducing A Female Chinchilla to My Current Female One

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iSpi

I just have some question on how I should go along with introducing two female chinchillas around the same age. I've read different stories and visited different websites, but I think getting different options from people who have been successful with introducing chinchillas would be nice to have, especially in one place where I can look.

I am getting another female chinchilla tomorrow who is white. Approximately one year old.
I currently have a standard grey female chinchilla who is a little over a year. She is very friendly and will come over to you and let you pet her. She has a large cage with multiple levels. When I first had her she had a smaller cage, so as long as I put new bedding in there I figured I could put the white chinchilla I plan on getting tomorrow in there.

I know introducing can be very lengthy and take a lot of time, and I might not even get the results I want, but I am willing to spend time and make sure they get proper care. I have plenty of time to spend with them day and night.

So if people could please share their experience it would be extremely helpful. Please provide detail, advice, and questions for me!

any new chin being brought in needs a 30 day quarantine period. If the new one has something wrong you don't want to risk it getting passed on to your current chin.

For me, i intro'ed my two chins a number of years ago.
They should be comfortable in there new environment before trying. Which means times to adjust to new environment, new ppl, new cage, etc. I didn't want them to be on edge going into it.

Once all that was done, i started by putting there cages on opposite ends on the room. (Both had there own FN cage)
After a month or so, i put the cages near each other. Still a few feet between cages, but near each other.
Month later, i moved them closer so there was only a few inches between the cages.

At that point we had rearranged the rooms a little bit. We had a table in the kitchen which was more like an office storage table. And the room next to it was the living room which had a computer desk, then both of the FN cages. - So the table was moved next to the comp, and the cages were moved in to that (if u want to call it) 'dinner room area' (it was just wide enough to have both cages with a little space in between them)

Since that little room was where i would let them out to run, having there cages already in there made things easier. So i started letting one chin out. Then id let the other chin out, and put my first chin back in the seconds chins cage. And then when the second chin was done, i let her into the first chins cage for a little bit. (both cages were arranged the same. So it was almost like being back in there own cage with a new smell.)

I didn't do that all to long tho. Getting them to go back in the cage was a pain. Both hating being picked up (one had a pathological fear of it.) And they never wanted to go back in. It was a lot of trouble.

So after all those months of slow intro i finally decided to let them out to play together.
Went of great. They loved each other right away. (loved enough to give me three kids in the long run. I rly wasn't thinking correctly about that.)

--

(Standard disclaimer: Pics about 6~ or so years old, before i new much on safety)

Chico_Sophie.jpg

^The very first time Chico and Sophie met face to face.

Chico_Sophie_2.jpg

^ Living together shortly after.

I pair chins all the time for pair and trios, both for breeding and in same-sex groups. My best success is by putting them side-by-side in a divided wire carrier for about 24 hours. They have food and water and are basically set up how I would have my chins set up for transport to the shows (sometimes over a 20 hour drive!) The next day, if they are not jacking at each other through the bars, I release them together in a new clean cage with lots of hay and sticks and dust bath to keep them occupied. Normally, they are so relieved to be out of the carrier, they don't mind having a cagemate. Sometimes I will have an overly dominant chin and in those cases, I trim her whiskers and try the whole process again. I have yet to have a pairing fail!

ETA: I also dab vanilla extract at the base of their tails and right under their nose before I release them into the cage as well. It helps to neutralize their personal scents, so to speak.

Last edited:
Back