Ingrown Quill

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thistlesmom

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has a photo of what an ingrown quill looks like? Thistle has had a lump on her head for a year, it is all of a sudden looking more sinister. A vet had taken a look at it a year ago and figured it was an ingrown quill but does anyone have a photo?

I will try and get a picture but she's fast...even with 3 legs.

Nicole

I found this photo of someone who was pretty sure what they were dealing with was an ingrown quill but i can't be sure! its probably best to have a vet take a look at it, as it could be something very dangerous.

hedgieouch.jpg

Thanks so much Rosemary. She did have a vet look at it about a year ago during the cancer ordeal. I will bring her to the vet next week and get some antibiotics. Poor little girl is 4.5 and has been through so much!

i dont know much about ingrown quills since i've never dealt with them, but a year does seem like a long time to have a bump :/ hopefully your little thistle gets better soon :D

Just curious, do you have an image of the spot?

Maui used to get ingrown quills, and they looked nothing like that image. They just appeared as large white bumps in her quill coat. Her quills were different than most ingrown ones I've dealt with though. Her's would become encapsulated in a thick nasty cottage cheese like goo. Doc would open them, remove the quills and the nasty goo and they would heal. He did say that they would eventually reabsorb but that could take a very long time to happen.

When Hemi had her ingrown quill, the skin around it was dry and scaly. The base of her quill was very moist and flimsy, and pulled out without any hassle when the vet went to lance and disinfect the area. Around one quill was a little white bump that looked a lot like a pus-filled pimple.. when the quill was lanced, the bump began draining pus and became red and irritated afterward.

Once treated, the area began to look normal within a few days and within a week, I couldn't even tell she had an infection.

Back