Increased aggression after puberty?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChocolatPocky

Are chinchillas like human teenagers? Do they become more aggressive once they reach puberty? Does this affect males only or both male and females?

Yes they are very much like human teenagers when they hit puberty, lol. They can become aggressive or more moody but not all do, just like humans, and it does affect both males and females. Males can end up fighting with each other for dominates, especially if there is a female around, and females can become more moody and territorial. Aside from puberty, right now is also right in the middle of chins natural "mating season" from November to May is when they commonly breed in the wild (they physically can breed year round though). So some chins can get a bit more full of themselves right now due to hormones.

Yes they are very much like human teenagers when they hit puberty, lol. They can become aggressive or more moody but not all do, just like humans, and it does affect both males and females. Males can end up fighting with each other for dominates, especially if there is a female around, and females can become more moody and territorial. Aside from puberty, right now is also right in the middle of chins natural "mating season" from November to May is when they commonly breed in the wild (they physically can breed year round though). So some chins can get a bit more full of themselves right now due to hormones.
Good to know!

Gus gus is about 7-8 months old now, so not sure if he's hit puberty yet but I have noticed he can be cheeky w Mr. B sometimes! He's tried to mount Mr. B a few so I put him in the small cage within the big cage for a time out. Other than that they have been getting along great! Mr. B is a more sleepy/slow chunker, but has really taken to Gus gus. They snuggle and groom each other. ☺ Gus gus likes to zip/parkour around, sometimes crashing into Mr. B or pestering him. It might just be he has to learn some chin manners since he's still so young.

I haven't really noticed any changes in either getting more rowdy bc of mating season. They do sometimes make that "call" that sounds like a low seagull call, is that a mating call?

Chins go though puberty starting around 4-6 months old until about a year. Some mounting is necessary, they are working out who is boss, so long as it's not causing a fight it's best to let them work it out. You could also try getting them a chinnie buddie, basically a fleece stuffed chinchilla shaped fleece toy to get their, "urges" out on if you think that might be an issue.

I mentioned mating season because you had asked about aggressive behavior, mounting is not aggressive behavior unless it's excessive and causing fur slips and barking. I don't think chins have a "mating call" really, but what you are describing could be the contact call, basically calling out to see if anyone else is around (like females, lol). It could also just be they heard, saw, or smelled something and are letting everyone know.

Back