I'm gonna be a mommy! (again)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3CsMommy

My babies Rock!
Western NY aka: Our Zoo. (We only lack a bird.)
No, I'm not getting on the "baby dust" bandwagon (though my best wishes go to Allie and the other 30 of you who have temporary passengers! lol). I've been thinking about "a buddy" for Crash for the past few months, and now, I'm almost ready to bring them home! After I tile the bottom of my FN, trim the shelves to fit the cage and attach them, and buy one more food dish and one more water bottle, I'll welcome:

Oasis (see here: http://humbleacreschinchillas.com/non breeders/non-breeders.htm , 6th chin down, hetero beige)

and

V12 (see here: http://humbleacreschinchillas.com/non breeders/non-breeders.htm first animal, standard gray).

They already live together in half of a FN142, so if the intro with Crash doesn't work well, they can still hang out together and he'll be a singleton.

I'm considering renaming Oasis since he doesn't seem to answer to his name anyway, and I always say "New start, new name" with rescues. He was apparently rescued from a cold, wet, dark basement in PA and while he's gotten much better, he seems to need more of a "spoiled pet" environment to really thrive, which I'm quite good at providing. :D I've considered calling him "Champagne Supernova" (Nova) since I've already got "Crash into Me No-Touchy" (Crash). I think I'd like to keep with the music theme.

V12 is out of "Darius"", a big old standard man, and Delilah (I think?, bred by Becky West) but didn't grow out like his siblings. He has more than enough Personality to make up for being the runt though! :D The little flirt spent a good 15 minutes grooming my fingers and patting my hands, then running back to check on his buddies before coming back to me. He's bitty, but "full of p and v" as my dad would say. At one point I looked at him patting my finger with his little paws and told him "You saw me coming, didn't you?" I'm a sucker for a love bug, and he knew it the minute I walked in!

Once I figure out a name for him (suggestions welcome), and get the cage finished, we'll move everybody into my apartment at one time via "smoosh method" on the drive over there. Crash was always the subordinate in spats with Cervantes, and Oasis and V12 are quite mellow, so I don't expect problems, but of course every new mom worries about how the kids will get along. :hmm: And if worst comes to worst, the FN is dividable, and I'll just have to get a second wheel for the little guys.

Finally, thanks to Dee and those two sweet little boys, I have a reason to look forward to Christmas this year! :mc10:

Thank you, Humble Acres, for helping me add to my family. :hug2:

Last edited:
Thanks. :) They're neither of them 'show quality' beauties like some members have, but they're **** cute! I'll get more pics during the Big Move.

I think (hope!) I have the patience and love Oasis needs to learn to trust more people, and V12 seems like he's going to be my little sunshine. I love Crash of course, but he is his own man and has his own tastes, so while I'm a Good Thing, it's partly b/c there's no other chin around. (He went from 2 mo. with his mama to the rescue to a month of quarantine in my home office to a QC mansion with Cervantes. 14 months alone has not been good for him.) I'm hoping he and Oasis will get to talking and become good buddies. They've both been bullied before, and Crash came away from it a changed chin. He's recovered some of his confidence, so I'm hoping he'll help Oasis do the same. And if I never have a Hetero Beige Hat or Eyebrow Tweezers, well, I'm all right with that. :)

yay!!! congrats on the new additions. theyre super cute!

Congrats! I love the opportunity to set up new cages and find new friends :)

Psssst - Congrats! The boys are just waiting to go home with you!

Becky, thank you for being willing to take these boys. I almost cry every time I think that they've finally found forever.

So I think I've come up with names:

#1-- Crash into Me (Called Crash)
#2-- Champagne Supernova (Called Nova or Oasis if he answers to it)
#3-- Could You be Loved (Called YouBe)

There's one very interesting link between all of the songs listed above that I'm sure at least some of you will get. I'm not sure the implication is the best for me, but they're all songs I enjoy that turn into cute, unique but pronounceable names.

Any thoughts?

I don't think Oasis really knows his name and I think a new name would do him good, since Oasis was his name at that... place... I got him from.

:)

I hope they're doing well. Jericho misses them! But I weaned a new boy into his cage the other day. He's a great weaning buddy.

Okay. How's this for a good sign?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/iIEvfXi-5j89G5vW6nXENQ?feat=directlink

Crash and Nova again:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JIM6QtZuM8f9bKlPQbVpxA?feat=directlink

And Nova by himself:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pZTQLkP5vXUCnkqdwFG2Yg?feat=directlink

Dee, he's loving the heck out of the Mazuri pellets, and he's taking Orchard Grass and Timmy Hay from my hand. Not really into petting yet, but baby steps are at least steps in the right direction. :)

Unfortunately, Crash is having some issues with YouBe/V12. :( My little sunshine just sits in the hidey house and barks unless he has a really good reason to come out while Crash is awake. (Scritchies and Orchard Grass seems to do the trick.) I'm giving treats very slowly since the new boys haven't really had them before. I hope once I get the flying saucer in there that Crash will run on it instead of trying to chase YouBe, so the jury's still out on whether it's a success or not. I won't let YouBe get trapped all day every day in a hide, but I'm not sure how much longer I can let the "adjustment period" go on without doing something. Everybody's eating, drinking, and pooping, though, so I remain optimistic.

I'm glad Oasis/Nova has settled in well - as I said before, I think he just needs a pet home with less commotion than there is in the chin rooms here and he'll do great. That picture of him and Crash cuddling melted my heart.

I'm sad to hear that things may not be going as well with V12/Yoube. If you need to split them up, Jericho can always come stay too ;) lol

Woke up at 5AM to screeching, thumping, banging, rattling, fur flying, but no bites or marks on anybody. However, I'd only gotten to sleep at 2, so (admittedly pissed off) I grabbed the cat carrier, stuck Crash in it, put it on the bottom of the cage and shut the door. Then I checked YouBe over for damage-- just pulled fur-- and nearly cried. Not only did he climb into my hands to come out, but once I scooped him up against my shoulder, he hunkered down, hid his face in my hair and just whimpered and groomed me. Once he was settled I put him in with the other two again, and left Crash in the crate in the cage for the next hour until I had to get up and ready for work. While he was crated, YouBe showed polite interest and they sniffed a few times through the holes, but no signs of aggression/agitation. So, I left the crate in the cage for the day so there's at least an additional hiding place in the bottom, though obviously Crash had to come out for water etc. :(

Not sure how to approach this now. I'm tempted to separate Crash and try a slow reintroduction, but that'll also depend on how they do today while I'm at work. And, I don't want to jump the gun on splitting them up before I get the last tile repaired for the cage (one cracked while I was cutting it so I had to replace it, and now I can't get to the tile saw I used before) and put in the Flying Saucer.

:wacko: Any thoughts?

Back