I tiled my Ferret Nation today :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But the thing is, I want to keep the hole open, so that my chinchilla can run through both levels. But thanks. :D

But the thing is, I want to keep the hole open, so that my chinchilla can run through both levels. But thanks. :D

Oh, gotcha! Well you have to cut the tiles anyway, you could just cut the notch out of one of the larger tiles to match the opening. The tile would look like an "L".

(drawing as example, the cutout isn't to scale)

Attachments

• Tiled Chin Cages cutout.jpg
    Tiled Chin Cages cutout.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
How do you cut tiles? Can store people do it for you? Also, I orderd FN 143 for my three FN 142 cages. actually, I love the storage space under the cages, so I am planning to keep the wheels. I am quite tall, 5' 8". Would the weight of tiles be ok for 143 WITH the storage space and wheels?

Also, what do you think about puting bunch of Chin-Chiller on the floor, at least the lower level? It might be too heavy, though.. :hmm:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16940

thanks!!!!!:thumbsup:

How do you cut tiles? Can store people do it for you? Also, I orderd FN 143 for my three FN 142 cages. actually, I love the storage space under the cages, so I am planning to keep the wheels. I am quite tall, 5' 8". Would the weight of tiles be ok for 143 WITH the storage space and wheels?

Also, what do you think about puting bunch of Chin-Chiller on the floor, at least the lower level? It might be too heavy, though.. :hmm:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16940

thanks!!!!!:thumbsup:

You have to use a tile-saw to cut tiles. Some stores will cut them for you, but a lot of stores will say no way, just like they are doing for cutting wood. Some places will let you rent the saw, but its pricey.

As for the weight, if you use ceramic it wouldn't be too bad. Granite is heavy, so if you move your cages you'll want to be careful it doesn't tip over if you leave the bottom shelf in. The cage is going to be pretty top heavy, but I don't think it would be impossible. I can still move mine around with just furniture sliders under it.

As for chin-chillers, they are just pieces of granite tile but cost a LOT more. You would still have to cut them to the right size, so you might as well just get the tiles from a home improvement store and save yourself a lot of money.

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this post!! I just got another 142(free) but it doesn't have any pans. So I want to tile it instead of ordering the pans for over $80. I might just tile both 142's. neither of mine are litter trained. But they prefer to pee on shelves anyway. So what's the difference? I will probably just throw some extra fleece in for them to cuddle with.

Tala has been making it her mission to destroy her cage, no matter what I do. Since I don't care for the Bass pans, I decided I needed to make some changes. I bought a few more granite tiles from the local hardware store and had my dad cut them to size with his tile saw. It only cost me $36.00 to tile all three levels :thumbsup:

They fit in there pretty tight, so I don't have to worry about Tala pulling them up or moving them around, and they're nice and cool so the fuzzies will be comfortable. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to keep using fleece over the top of the granite or not. We'll see what kind of a mess they make of them overnight. The nice thing is that if someone decides to pee in one corner, I can pull that tile up and wash it without having to take them all out. They should make cleanup easier too, just sweep up the poo and hay and I'll be good to go.

DSC02351.jpg

I also made them all new hay bags, Tala was particularly grumpy about me taking pictures
DSC02352.jpg

Tala checking things out
DSC02359.jpg

Groo wasn't real happy with me either. Poor guy just wanted to run on his wheel.
DSC02357.jpg
Hi fanofdmb84, I absolutely love you cage and would love to do the same to my Ferret Nation cage. How to you get the tiles to stay down? Do you glue them, or do they just fit naturally because they were cut to fit? I was planning to go to Lowes and have them cut a slab to my specifications and try to place it on top of pans. Thank you for any answers.

I love it! Got to love a stubborn chin...LOL. I agree that litter box training is not only a time savings for clean up but the money you save on litter is great.

I had swapped out my Critter Nation plastic pans for custom wood floors and have some tiles but my little one, who I think is part beaver is chewing the heck out of them. I solved the poop scatter problem with attaching scatter guards to the outside of the cage. It works great and keeps the majority of mess contained to the inside of the cage.

I was thinking of getting a solid granite piece made from scrap granite to replace the wood but think the tile idea would be easier and cheaper. I think I'd have the cut tiles for the openings between levels done so the cut side would butt up against the next tile so the polished smooth side is on the opening edge.

I like the little half tunnels and just got the idea from this to use these for the ramp areas between levels.

Thanks for the ideas! Great job.

Hi fanofdmb84, I absolutely love you cage and would love to do the same to my Ferret Nation cage. How to you get the tiles to stay down? Do you glue them, or do they just fit naturally because they were cut to fit? I was planning to go to Lowes and have them cut a slab to my specifications and try to place it on top of pans. Thank you for any answers.

They are cut to fit and just drop in, they definitely don't need any adhesive or hardware to stay in place.

However, if I did this again, I would use ceramic tiles instead. The granite is heavy and if any of the chins misses a litter pan, the pee slowly soaks into the tile.

Thank you so much. Will the ceramic tiles also keep them cool? We have really hot summers in Memphis and I just want to be completely sure she will be cool with A/C and tiles

Now I want to use tile in Luna's cage! For the ceramic tile, does it have to be a certain kind to be "chin safe", or will anything labeled ceramic tile at Home Depot or Lowes be OK?

What were the dimensions for the tiles? And did you have to cut any down to size?

I've got ceramic tile now, for tiling my cage as well. Are your levels completely sealed off from each other? Or did you leave the holes there so the chins could explore?

How do you keep pee from going between the tile?

Thanks

Back