I tiled my Ferret Nation today :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanofdmb84

it IS called 'fur'-niture
Tala has been making it her mission to destroy her cage, no matter what I do. Since I don't care for the Bass pans, I decided I needed to make some changes. I bought a few more granite tiles from the local hardware store and had my dad cut them to size with his tile saw. It only cost me $36.00 to tile all three levels :thumbsup:

They fit in there pretty tight, so I don't have to worry about Tala pulling them up or moving them around, and they're nice and cool so the fuzzies will be comfortable. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to keep using fleece over the top of the granite or not. We'll see what kind of a mess they make of them overnight. The nice thing is that if someone decides to pee in one corner, I can pull that tile up and wash it without having to take them all out. They should make cleanup easier too, just sweep up the poo and hay and I'll be good to go.

DSC02351.jpg

I also made them all new hay bags, Tala was particularly grumpy about me taking pictures
DSC02352.jpg

Tala checking things out
DSC02359.jpg

Groo wasn't real happy with me either. Poor guy just wanted to run on his wheel.
DSC02357.jpg

Is the glossy surface easy for them to get traction on? It sure does look nice.

Looks great!!!! I'm wanting to mine as well, but the Brother-in-law has been too busy to help out. Hopefully now that the weather is cooling down he'll have some free time for me. OR you could swing down by me and help out Diana!! LOL!

I have been considering doing this as well. My only concern is that I have a couple of 3-tier FN cages and was hoping they were sturdy enough to withstand the extra weight of the tile. (Maybe I am just a bit conservative and paranoid.) I have some extra tiles that were part of a home project long ago...

Looks like cleanup would be much easier... :) Yay for that!

Nice job! They look great!

I have been considering doing this as well. My only concern is that I have a couple of 3-tier FN cages and was hoping they were sturdy enough to withstand the extra weight of the tile. (Maybe I am just a bit conservative and paranoid.) I have some extra tiles that were part of a home project long ago...

Looks like cleanup would be much easier... :) Yay for that!

Nice job! They look great!

Thanks!

It seems to take the weight without problem. I can still move the cage around, which is good. I considered using a lighter tile like ceramic, but decided against it in the end. This morning's cleanup was a breeze. i vacuumed up the poos and hay and was done! Well, with the exception of Tala's cage. She's my problem child. She peed everywhere but her litter pan, so she's getting a fleece liner again. The other two use their litter pans so that was nice not to have to shake out fleece.

The best part of tile cages, the swipe and wipe! Just swipe out the poo and hay and a quick wipe down!

I don't know if granite would be the best type to use. I built a custom cage for my six guinea pigs and kiln dried pine with linoleum on top of it worked out nicely.

The problem with granite is that it tends to vary. It can come from 63 different countries and is known to leak radiation and radon gas. I remember watching a Dr Oz episode where they measured the radiation coming off a few different slabs of granite some were okay others were really bad. If the chin is laying on these constantly for a few years i would worry about the cancer risk.

Here is an article about it

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html

Is linoleum safe for chinchillas? Wouldn't they chew it and ingest it?

Wouldn't a non litter pan trained chin be walking in its pee?

I would love to just vacuum and wipe every day.

Looks great! I bet they appreciate all that extra space to sprawl out on the cool tile. Your hay bag design is rather nice too!

I don't know if granite would be the best type to use. I built a custom cage for my six guinea pigs and kiln dried pine with linoleum on top of it worked out nicely.

The problem with granite is that it tends to vary. It can come from 63 different countries and is known to leak radiation and radon gas. I remember watching a Dr Oz episode where they measured the radiation coming off a few different slabs of granite some were okay others were really bad. If the chin is laying on these constantly for a few years i would worry about the cancer risk.

Here is an article about it

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html

While I don't doubt the claims made against granite, my attitude towards things like that is this "somebody, somewhere, is going to tell you that something (and everything) causes cancer." People tile their homes with it, chinchillas all over the world sit atop pricey granite "chinchillers", so I'm not going to get all hyped up over it. ETA: that article also states a few times that its exotic (uncommon and expensive) granite types that are usually found containing radioactive substances.

I would also worry about linoleum since it is a manufactured product it is sure to have chemicals, additives, and glue in it. It's also soft and porous, so chins could chew it and will eventually become saturated. Granite is porous as well, but I can also take the tiles out and soak them in vinegar and/or bleach.

@ Chinwawa: yes, is helpful if the chin is litter trained. I have one girl who lately has refused to use her litter pan so I've put a fleece liner back in her cage, but still on top of the tile. It's still cooler that way, but she's also not walking through her pee. Then again, she's one of those dirty little chinnies who will gladly sit in a puddle of pee all day anyway :banghead:. My other two use their litter pans and the tiles stay pretty clean.

So far I love my new setup. Cleaning is so much faster, I have a lot less laundry, and it keeps the cages looking very neat and tidy.

Last edited:
With all the granite couter tops, bathrooms, floors in the world, if the risk was that real you would think the tort lawyers would have had a field day!

i use those same tiles in my cages as not only a cooler but to hold down the fleece a bit. they are 12 x 12 and nice and heavy and super cool. as they appear to be marble. the only reason i havent tiled the whole cage is because i like the way the pans cut down on the poop flying out. before the pans, i would sweep up poop & hay a couple times a day, now the pans keep most of the hay in and the poop is minimal too.
if your local home depot or lowes has a wet saw, they will cut them down. i had them cut several for me and use the half in all my cages and some guys have a whole one!

For the level with the opening in it what did you do there. Did you cover the opening. Because um planning to tile my whole FN but I don't how to tile the level with the opening on it. If if I tile it it will just slide all over the place..

For the level with the opening in it what did you do there. Did you cover the opening. Because um planning to tile my whole FN but I don't how to tile the level with the opening on it. If if I tile it it will just slide all over the place..

If you have a FN142, you can swap the piece used for the shelf on the bottom with the cut-out piece. So the shelf will have the cut out and you'll have two solid levels to your FN.

I just put one of the full size (12 x 12) tiles over the opening. No special changes or swapping required. There is enough of a lip around the opening to hold a tile, so you'd never even know it was there once there is a tile over it.

Back