I think my chinchilla bit off her finger

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephomega

My chinchilla, Boomer, is an overweight (I'm working on it so don't judge me) chinchilla about 2 years old. I was cleaning her cage today and I took her out and I noticed on her front left paw(?) that a digit was missing, my only conclusion is she bit it off. It looks a little swollen and is not bleeding. I see no bone exposed and I couldn't find the digit so maybe she swallowed it or I just missed it. I didn't even know chinchillas could do that. What should I do? Are there things I can go without seeing a vet if possible? Someone please help, I'm very worried about her. She is acting like she always does so it doesn't seem to affect her but I'm still concerned it could get or is infected. Anything helps.

If it's not bleeding and you don't see a bone sticking out or anything it might be ok, just try to keep the cage extra clean until it fully heals. You can try to clean it off with a bit of water on a paper towel if there is dried blood on her foot just to make sure it's all good. If you notice her not using the paw, or if it is bad looking (really red or purple, swollen, any pus, etc) or if she is chewing on it (a sign that it's bothering her) you will need to see a vet.

Do you see any blood in the cage? Could she have caught it on something and broke the toe? I do know if they are in pain they can sometimes just chew off the toe or whatever is causing the pain to get rid of the pain. Could another chins have chew it off?

Its only red on the tip, which looks like dried blood to me. No blood on the cage, My cage has 1 inch bars but maybe the pan against the cage? No other chins are with her. She uses it no problem.

Ok, I would just keep an eye on it. Toe losses tend to heal without issue (they aren't that uncommon), it's only really a problem if the bone is sticking out or it gets infected.
I once had a chin get into a fight with another and had a toe bitten off, I just kept it clean and it healed fine.

Back