I think I need help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannahdear

I really want to learn as much as I can about Chinchillas I think I know a lot already but I still need to know somethings. For example, I want to know the pro and cons of keeping the dust bath in the cage. Are chinchillas suppose to lick their privates. I mean I see my males you know what a lot he seems to be grooming. What is the first sign of bad genetics? I will add on to this list as I think of things.

Why don't you read all of the FAQs first and then ask away :).

Oh cool I found something to figure out if my chinchillas are high quality sweet.

I wouldn't be so quick to decide on your own if your chins are high quality or not. If you really need to know, you should enter them in a show in your area - they will be put on the table and an experienced judge can tell you their quality. It's not just one or two little things, and it's really difficult to tell unless you've seen a LOT of chinchillas.

Yes, it's normal for chins to lick their private parts.

It'd be actually pretty hard to tell if your chins are quality without having an experienced breeder look at them. I've owned chins for 2 years and I still have a hard time seeing the quality. Some things are easier to see like breaks in the fur and a pinched neck, but as far as the stand up fur and clarity, those are harder to see. So for you to be able to decide if your chins are actually quality is going to be hard no matter how many things you read.

Anyways, these seem like pretty basic questions for someone who wants to breed.

A chin's dust bath should never be left in the cage at all times. It dries out their skin and they just end up peeing in their dust anyways.

Thank you. I wanted to say that I don't think that would be anywhere but I thought I'd check.

Sorry, I am not breeding.

It'd be actually pretty hard to tell if your chins are quality without having an experienced breeder look at them. I've owned chins for 2 years and I still have a hard time seeing the quality. Some things are easier to see like breaks in the fur and a pinched neck, but as far as the stand up fur and clarity, those are harder to see. So for you to be able to decide if your chins are actually quality is going to be hard no matter how many things you read.

Anyways, these seem like pretty basic questions for someone who wants to breed.

A chin's dust bath should never be left in the cage at all times. It dries out their skin and they just end up peeing in their dust anyways.

I might do that. Is it hard to see if they are? I would like that because it would end this darn low quality stuff about my chinchillas. One of mine is completely white and his eyes turn red in the light. I have another question and it is about sleep patterns, see my chinchillas barely sleep in the day.

Sorry, guess I misunderstood your other thread where you said you were pairing your chins and wanted to know what we thought of you breeding.

ETA: yes it is hard to see if you don't know what you're looking for. Breeders have been putting years into creating a nice fur on chinchillas and there's a lot that goes into it. It's not something that is easy to see. When put under show lights, do you know if your white has creamy fur? Probably not, since you haven't been to a show. Does your white have cottony fur like whites tend to have? Are there any breeders in your area? Many are more than willing to have you come and talk to them about quality.

Last edited:
Yeah, no weren't anymore we were but we aren't. Can we get on topic? Sorry but I really don't want to talk about this.

Last edited:
I want to know... this has nothing to do with breeding you have my word. I need to know things.

These are what a high quality chinchillas looks like::chin1::chin::chin4::chin2::chin5:

Is that what your chinchillas looks like? Awesome.

If you're not concerned with breeding, then it does not mtter if you have high quality chinchillas or not. No one here cares if your chinchillas are high quality or not unless you're planning on breeding them. Just love your chinchillas for what they are.

If true curiosity is driving your questions on quality, go to a show, you will learn more than you can imagine or than we could possibly convey over the net.

It isn't but it looks like there has been a lot of answers about it, great ones though thanks. I will go to one soon.

This may be something in the FAQ and give me the link if so but How can I get my chinchillas to open their mouthes to take a look at their teeth. By the way, I am taking them to the vet this week. I should get a lot of information on their health and stuff. I think they are fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, I am taking them to the vet this week. I should get a lot of information on their health and stuff. I think they are fine.
You can re-read your other thread to get the appropriate comments to this.

Please stop baiting us and do some research. It's fun to banter but then the thread gets closed and it's so anticlimactic it's frustrating.

Give them a stick to chew on and many times you can see their front teeth. Then you can see if they're the proper color (orange) I would not try to look at all their teeth though, that's something I'd leave to a vet.

Yea it is orange.

You can re-read your other thread to get the appropriate comments to this.

Please stop baiting us and do some research. It's fun to banter but then the thread gets closed and it's so anticlimactic it's frustrating.

I really wasn't trying to be annoying. Just trying to say that this isn't going to be too much about health. I sorry if I am frustrating you I don't mean to I was just trying to make a point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back