I released my 10 degus into the wild

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratchilla

Be very, very afraid
Or that is what I was told after I inquired about them when a girl said she had the parents and eight babies in my state that she was trying to get rid of. I told her I was interested in two or three of the females. Wish I had gotten to her sooner or knew they were going to do that. I'd have tried to take them all or at least get them to a rescue. Now I'm sad, I really hope it wasn't true.

I don't understand the mentality of "I know they'll be happier in the wild," but they seemed to think it made releasing them alright.

This makes me so sad. When I was very little, my parents and I "set free" one of my hampsters after it attacked its cage mate. I constantly feel guilty cause my parents were never really educated on rodents so a) we never knew hammies weren't supposed to live in groups in the first place and b) none of us realized "setting them free" is really a death sentence. :/

I know, whenever I see things like this it makes me think of the Bermese Python in Florida and I really can't blame states when they make animals illegal. It really only takes 1 to ruin it for us all.

I couldn't imagine releasing my ratties. They are so sweet. Zara always trys to follow my dog around, she'd run straight into the mouth of a waiting kitty and would do so willingly. Their "sweet" personalities (as she said) doesn't make good for survival in the wild.

I actually had 6 Syrian females that shared a 55 gallon tank... they got along fine... I must have been lucky o.o. They never fought or anything... This was before I ever had chins, but they all got along great.

What they did is probably illegal, and could lead to problems for the local wildlife, especially with that many, and all un-neutered, obviously. You should anonymously notify local Fish and Game officials, or Animal Control, as they are NOT a native species, and could damage the environment, if they survive.

Poor Degus! Why don't people understand that releasing animals is just dooming them? I believe very strongly in caring for your animals in such a way that they could survive in the wild by keeping things as natural as possible, but only because my boyfriend has a habit of forgetting his snakes' tank clips. One was missing for about three weeks once. I'd never say "Oops, we can't afford Nathan anymore. Let's just take him to the woods. They're native here, why not?" That's cruel!

I mean, I don't know. She was on another forum I am on (she was brand new) so I hadn't even thought of that since most people were calling her a troll saying she was trying to rile them up. I had personally pmed her and was told the same thing, so I don't know if it was true or not.

This was one of the last posts she made (a week or two after she released them according to her) when people got on her for it:

"Apparently none of you understand. The police of my town said it was ok. I spent months finding them a home and I loved them. AND YES THEY DO ENJOY BEING MORE FREE THAN BE CAGED UP FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES!!! IT IS LIKE BEING IN JAIL. I LOVE animals you don't even know how much i love them. I can own animals if i want. who are you to judge me when I did NOTHING wrong. They are fine I still see them where I let them go and i see them eating food!! Get a life and quit commenting things that you don't even know what you are talking about! DO you even know what troll means. Do everyone a favor and get a life!!"

I wouldn't even know where to tell the wild life folks where to go.

Loving animals is doing what is best for all animals- which is not introducing an invasive species which may flourish or may die.

She's not too terribly smart or her parents never taught her that she could possibly be wrong about anything. I feel so bad for the poor Degus. At the very least they probably won't last too long so they won't have to suffer for years at the hands of a stupid sociopath.

Back