I need recipe help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn

ZooKeeper
I am attending a small family potluck and decided I would bring some type of flavored meatballs. I intend to buy a package or two of frozen meatballs that I will put into a slow cooker. But I need a fabulous recipe. Some type of really tasty bbq type? Do you have any ideas or recipes to share?

My favorite meatball recipe is always sweet and sour but I make it to taste sorry Jenn! I got up one red and one green red bell pepper. I cut up one medium to large vidalia or any other sweet onion then add 2 cans of chunk pineapple and probably about 1/4 cup of brown sugar and soy sauce--a few shakes. Let it simmer until the veggies are tender. You don't have to thicken it but if you'd like a thicker sauce then do the old cornstarch and water trick until it's as thick as you want it.

I normally do a jar or two of spaghetti sauce and a pack of shredded mozzarella cheese. I don't think I've ever had BBQ or sweet & sour meatballs. Sounds interesting.

I know its not BBQ but I make a Sweadish Meatball gravy that my family loves! Over the stovetop I simmer 1 can of cream of mushroom, 1/2 cup of whole milk, 1 cup of sour cream. Mix well, then add 2 beef bouillon cubes. Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer for another 15 mins. Pour over the meatballs in crock pot and your done! Very yummy!! If needed you can double the recipe.

I've done the grape jelly one, but with half BBQ sauce/half grape jelly. Its pretty good, they are a bit sweeter so the kids like it.

Man you guys are making me want meatballs lol. The grape jelly one sounds so weird and interesting.

Ash, that just sounds so bizarre! But it seems like it is quite popular and well liked. I have to go shopping tomorrow for ingredients, or Tuesday morning at the latest, so I can make it later that day, or early Wednesday morning for my get together. It is an hour drive to the affair...should I try to keep the meatballs warm, or are they still tasty when cooled?

If you do the grape jelly/chilli sauce or cocktail sauce or whathave you I would say keep them warm. They're much tastier like that. I always do mine in a crockpot. Just toss everything in and let it cook. Keep an eye that the crock doesn't get to hot because the jelly will burn.

I have made the grape jelly/chili sauce one several times. At first was not sure how it would taste..thought the jelly would make it too sweet..but it was actually really good. I have actually made it as a meal.

One bottle of russian dressing, one jar of appricot jam and one packet of onion soup mix, mix together, Yum!

I love all the ideas! Thank you so much. I'm going to have to buy a lot of meatballs in the future and try them all out!

We make these cranberry meatballs...it's whole berry cranberry sauce and chili sauce with swedish meatballs (normally I don't like the taste of swedish meatballs, but these are good)

It's almost the same as the grape jelly recipe, but it calls for 3 cans of cranberry sauce (I think 14 oz each) but I often make it with 2 cans since I always have a bunch of sauce left over and it tastes just as good to me. It's not bbq-ish so I can't help you there.

I know it's late, but wanted to add mine to the list. I do a variation of the grape jelly/chili sauce one. I use a can of the jelled cranberry sauce and a bottle of Heinz 57 sauce. Lots of garlic powder too.

Thank you! The grape jelly meatballs were a hit, but I am excited to try all of these other ideas as well. Thanks for everyone's help!!!!!!

Back