I just witness the amazing brain power of a chinchilla..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon

I just witnessed the amazing power of a chinchilla's mind.

I had an enclosed area for Binx to run around it sort of like a playpen. There was a part where he could hop onto a cardboard box and get out, but I'd always nudge him off of it. He'd stare at it for like a minute then BOLT up to the top and jump, hoping to be freed. I would always block him and he got tired of doing this.

I took the cardboard box that he could jump on out and when I was putting it away, he got out and under my dresser. No big deal, right? I got his dust bath and held it by the dresser. He'd see it, think about it, and run back under it. I couldn't believe it. It was the first time I'd seen him resist the powers of a dust bath.

For a good 10 minutes he would run back out and run back in, almost taunting me. I finally ended up luring him out with oats and put him back into his cage, but it just amazes me at how smart they can be!

Lol, they are very smart- and sneaky! The dust bath thing doesn't work here anymore even- I used it too much I guess!

LOL...they catch on, don't they?

The dust bath doesn't work for catching Sprink any more...he'd much more have the pleasure of freedom.

However...he cannot resist rosehips. I go get the container, and shake it...sometimes I have to open it and set it nearby...he HAS to get some. Sometimes I let him get it out of the container himself, but then he grabs and runs. But he always comes back for more. It's like, he knows he's going to get caught, but like the rosehip junkie he is, he must come back for more.

Oh I know. We used to pull that one on sprink. But now he knows better not to take a bath unless hes in his cage. lol

I once was sitting by the baby gate that I had up to keep Chi Chi from getting under the bed and the little sneaker used me to try to get over it....the first time I let her out was in our bathroom and I didn't know there was a space under the counter that she could get into....I tried the dust bath to get her out....tried every treat I could think of and the only one that worked was the raisin...but now she has caught on and will only come get the raisin if I walk away....she is a sneaky one...lol

I have a couple chins that can't resist the dust bath but know that they'll get caught if they climb in - so they will dust with just their head sticking in the bath and their butt sticking out so they can get a quick getaway.

So far though they can't resist watching me put fresh dust into the bath and then offering it.

The dust bath only works for me if I take it away at the beginning of play time. Then, when playtime is over I just put it down, and they can never resist.

I was amazed by their pure brain power when I saw a youtube video of a chin owner let her chin to tricks. The chin was actually running around in a circle, playing fetch, jumping through her arms. It was AMAZING. Dusty has resisted the dust bath multiple times. I think he's figured out my ways of getting him back in the cage xp

Unfortunately, Sesame doesn't fall for the dust bath trick anymore either if she manages the jump out of her playpen. In the beginning, she wasn't able to resist the lures of a dust bath. She would pause for a few minutes trying to decide if there really was a choice between a dust bath and freedom. We have resorted to using this towel to scoop her up. We've actually found this to be a great time to comb her too, lol and make sure all her feeties are nice a soft, etc. She's too concentrated on planning her escape that we can comb her, do a quick close go-over on her, etc.

Unfortunately, Sesame doesn't fall for the dust bath trick anymore either if she manages the jump out of her playpen. In the beginning, she wasn't able to resist the lures of a dust bath. She would pause for a few minutes trying to decide if there really was a choice between a dust bath and freedom. We have resorted to using this towel to scoop her up. We've actually found this to be a great time to comb her too, lol and make sure all her feeties are nice a soft, etc. She's too concentrated on planning her escape that we can comb her, do a quick close go-over on her, etc.

Good idea for the checkover at that time! Thanks.:thumbs:

Back