I have a 3 days old kit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

spotter27

we r feeding them by hand goats milk n rice cereal. he's doing good he's 3 days old dont have a scale yet. how long until they can go a little longer then 2 hrs for a feeding

The mother is not feeding it n treating it like a rag doll n biting it where theres blood so we took her out of the cage n feed it by hand. This is hard work. How long until they can get goats milk out of a bowl themseves.

They can never get it out of a bowl. Some chins will drink it out of a water bottle, but I have never had any success with it.

Welcome to breeding! Isn't it fun? I'm currently hand feeding 8 kits from different litters. I can't remember what sleep is. :)

I hand feed every 2 hours for the first minimum of 3 weeks. After 3 weeks, if they are gaining steady, I will go to 3 hours. By week four if still gaining, I will go to 4 hours. I stay with 4 hours until they are weaned. That's through the night as well, just like the 2 hour feedings.

I hand feed every 2 hours for the first minimum of 3 weeks. After 3 weeks, if they are gaining steady, I will go to 3 hours. By week four if still gaining, I will go to 4 hours. I stay with 4 hours until they are weaned. That's through the night as well, just like the 2 hour feedings.

I agree with this, this is how we do it with our kits here that need to be handfed. And if they're not steadily gaining, it's best to stay with feedings every 2 hours.

Don't forget to stimulate them to eliminate waste. Just thought I would throw that in. Just in case you missed it on the FAQ's of kit care. Good luck.

Yes, good luck. Our kits are 2 months old & we are still hand feeding them (they never took to a water bottle) only now not as often (every 6 hours at the moment). That's hard work and I've been there. I think it's worth it once you see them grow from a tiny thing to a fluffy kit.

Back