I got wood.. LOL

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Aneesa's Muse

Umm.. I picked up quite a bit of dried apple wood, today ...but it hasn't been soaked or boiled or baked or anything. Do I need to?

I picked it up at a local Rabbit Rescue ..and they don't do anything to it before giving it to the bunnies. We can't do that with the Chinchillas though.. can we?

Umm.. I picked up quite a bit of dried apple wood, today ...but it hasn't been soaked or boiled or baked or anything. Do I need to?

I picked it up at a local Rabbit Rescue ..and they don't do anything to it before giving it to the bunnies. We can't do that with the Chinchillas though.. can we?

I don't know if its the same but I buy apple wood from petco and it doesn't seem like anything was done to it. My chinchillas love it.

You stole my opening line from "the old forum!"
I've used it, if it was fresh, by just scrubing it with a brush and water. My chins loved it, and I had no after effects at all! Yours sound like it's been dried already - I'd take off any loose bark, and scrub it good, making sure there's no "little critters" hidden anywhere, and bake it about 2 hrs @ 200 degrees, just to be safe!

Thank you, Rickman! I thought I was the only one with a sense of humor ..and a twisted one, at that :p

I'll scrub up the wood tomorrow and then "cook" it 'til it's tender... err, I mean, done. :dance3:

Phoenix still hasn't shown a real interest in chewing, but this wood is much fresher than what I have given him ...so he may be more likely to try it. I'm positive the girls will devour it... they nibble on me, too! :)

My group really didn't like the stuff we got at petsmart or petco but when we order it online and get it fresh they LOVE it! The only thing they love chewing on more is the bathroom sink.

I would scrub it, boil it, and bake it if you don't think it has been. I wouldn't want to risk anything, you know?

I don't buy very many things that are edible ..at Petco or Petdumb. Usually, I pick up bedding or toys on sale/clearance ...and visit my friend that works there. Occasionally, I help them figure out one of their new animals ..or rescue one of their "dumps". In fact, I was at my local Petco the day Phoenix was dumped... :heart3:

Anyhoo.. got off track.. the wood is all done! Clean, baked and Chin'kid approved! :thumbsup:

I cut it from my trees and dry it in the barn. then give it, but we know these trees have never been exposed to insecticides. If I wasn't sure about where it came from it would be boiled and baked

The wood I get from this rescue is always organic, unsprayed and so on ..but they don't cure it or boil/bake it ..cuz bunnies don't require it, they say. I dunno ..I don't have bunnies ;)

The main purpose of baking it is to prevent molding.

My oven was out, and I had a bunch of coins I had cut waiting to bake mold on me in less than a week.

Back