I am mortified.. Behavior issues??!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinnybabyb

Okay so I don't know how to put this more politely than this:
I came home from work mid-day to find my chinchilla standing on his perch giving himself "oral favors" and I don't mean a quick licking like a cat or something, I mean full on hardcore doing it. It was very graphic and I feel traumatized. I have NEVER seen him behave this way. He is a very sweet boy he's 2 years old and loves people, he is a white mosaic and very playful. I am at a loss for words and don't even know how to respond to this and googled it but can't find info on it.

IS THIS NORMAL in any way shape or form????!!!! :vomit::tantrum:

Welcome to the joys of owning a male!!!

At least they don't spray you like females do!!! I'll take a hair ring check over a surprise pee-ing on any day!!! :thumbsup:

hahaha! Yep, isn't that absolutely crazy?! I've seen Tribble do it quite a few times, it's usually during the day and I'm just like, "Ok... I'll be going now and let you do your thing". It is so bizarre but completely normal.

Why are you 'mortified'?? He is an animal. Animals consider this as normal behavior. He is cleaning himself plus gratifying himself - no big deal

If you don't want to just see it wait until you have to handle it when you remove the penis from the sheath to check for a hair ring, you know about those right?

Being this is a family friendly forum I am REALLY trying hard to behave myself....There are soooo many jokes about human men I could make right now...(can't help it...it is just one of those things you just walk right into) :zipped1:

Being this is a family friendly forum I am REALLY trying hard to behave myself....There are soooo many jokes about human men I could make right now...(can't help it...it is just one of those things you just walk right into) :zipped1:

Yes. Would if could?

It is normal, I think it's simply cleaning. No need to worry. : )

"Mortified ?" Welcome to the real world of normal male chinchilla behavior.

Inca usually decides to do this while were eating dinner...he's in the dining room! I have now learned to just ignore him, but it was a little freaky at first!

LOL! This is SO normal that when I read the title from the outside I KNEW it was one of two things involving a MALE chinchilla:

"OMG he humped my friends arm" OR...well...this ;)

As everyone has said, animals clean themselves and relieve their needs the same as humans do...well...not "the same" like in the same fashion ;) but all animals have their own ways (we use washcloths thank god) of taking care of these matters. And yeah, you may want to read up on hair ring checks on the forum here. If you have a solitary male it may not be much of an issue...but you'll still want to know how to do it and what to keep an eye out for!

Haha, my first chinchilla was a male and he would do that as he pleased. Its not like its morally wrong or some silliness like that, he's an animal not a human that would be embarrassed at getting caught. I just remember being suprized at how long 'it' is.

Speaking of hair rings you'll def need to research that, there was also a how to vid on youtube, my guy I'd check him but only intervene if he ended up not cleaning himself properly.

/goes off to have a giggle fit.

Haha sorry I don't mean to laugh, this was just written in a very humorous tone! This behavior is perfectly normal - he's cleaning himself. Hair rings can be a problem for male chins and this is basically how they avoid it. Of course hair rings aren't really a problem in the first place unless he's trying to breed (usually).

A really good friend of mine who gave me my 2nd chin had a little boy who would seek privacy when he cleaned. My male on the other hand likes to be on display when he does it, which is hilarious in my mind. I keep thinking I need to buy him a trench coat and some sunglasses since he's a little flasher. :D

Well Chinbutt gave me an idea for a tattoo the chinchilla in a trench coat thing, but maybe a chew stick instead, or a cartoonish cigar. And by the way and Im sure most guys on this forum would agree that if we were able to do that deed ourselves, we probably would never leave the house, not to be gross or anything, just real

i was horrified the first time i saw mine do that, and even after i opened the door to the cage to get a better front row viewing of this "gross act", he looked at me, and his THING fell out of his mouth briefly, then he bent back down, gobbled his thing up and continued to clean it... absolutely no regards that he was doing it in the presences of two ladies (my girl chin, and ME) lol

Back