How to Make Shelves - With Photos

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking for this post and i think its very useful for people who want todiy their shelves. im gonna do a little bump to this post because I think others might miss it..:)

Last edited:
;)For those of you who have loving hubbies,boyfriends,daddys-I have found the solution to anything I want made for my chins!!! All I have to do is give my hubby a pic or idea of what I want. The deal cincher is- he gets a new "man toy" out of it! This works well for pretty much any honey do project. Let's see, so far in the last few years he has needed/acquired a plunge router,random orbit sander,biscuit cutter(no not the ones you eat),circular saw,power drill, and too many other hand tools/accessories to name!:dance3:

I'm not having much luck with my shelves. I had five 8" and three 18" shelves cut and am determined to get them mounted. When I screw the hanger bolts in either way...using the double wing nut with one upside down and the single wing nut, they keep getting stuck to the bolt. I've got 4 of them that I can't use, but they did come out of the wood...lol Wednesday, my bf is coming over to drill pilot holes since I don't have a power drill. I sure hope that solves the problem, because it seems like that's the only practical way to attach them so they can be removed for cleaning. Or...is there another way that might work?

Another little tip that may help some of you who do not own a drill....if you'll get a nail that's slightly smaller than the diameter of the bolt you're trying to use, hammer it into the wood where you want the bolt to go (make sure to hammer the nail in straight), then remove the nail. When you go to screw the bolt into the wood, the nail hole acts as a pilot hole and will generally go in MUCH easier. :)

I had a lot of problems making these at first. My wing nuts also kept getting stuck on the bolts... let's not discuss how many I ruined. I was able to get some free by removing the screw and nut and getting two pliers and twisting in opposite directions.

I also got my wood cut at Lowe's and they had signs everywhere saying that it was free (lumber as well as tiles and other things, too). I also couldn't get the bolts into the wood without a pilot hole (but I have bad muscles and my hands were having a flare up though). I ended up making 4 and they look really good! And I have a bunch of left over wood if I ever want to switch it up.

yeah, I find that the wingnuts get stuck on the bolts easier when you really crank on them to get the bolt into the wood. So the bigger the pilot hole for me, the easier they are to get in, and as a result the wing nuts come off easier.

that's what I found too. I started drilling bigger holes after that and it went by a LOT easier. At first I was so frustrated though.

so which is actually better for the FN's wing nut or wood screw /washer combos?
starting to make my shelves sunday so just wanted to know before I head out.
and I do agree with the tool thing My wife didn't think I needed tools til I explained the cost of diy vs retail. she does understand money she cant shop with lol.

Thank you for this post! After looking at all of your cages I noticed that they had no plastic in them. All of my shelves are plastic. I didn't know they were bad when i bought her. :banghead: She does not chew on her shelves but I did notice she has started chewing on her ramps. I know she does not need ramps but she like them. I've even seen her sleeping on them.

Looks like I will be heading to Lowes today. Mamma wants a new drill!! This is the perfect excuse to get one. :)

What kind of screws would you recommend for a cage with horizontal bars??

I am pretty sure Rick covered this, but no one posted pics...

Most of the owners here use one of two ways to mount ledges...
Either Hanger bolts, or Lag screws.
Depending on thickness of the wood being used, and the amount of weight it will support, you can choose the size and length of the bolt.
I use 1/4"-20 hanger bolts and 3/8" Lag screws to mount 1" wood, but you could use up to 3/8"-16 for 2 inch wood. I use bolts that are 2" or longer, any shorter and you risk splitting the wood from stress. To be honest any of these will support your chin jumping on them. I prefer to keep the weight as light as possible so I do not overload the cage bars. You will also notice in the picture, there are 2 types of washers. The smaller 1 1/2" that can be purchased at HomeDepot or Lowes, and the Larger 1 5/8" Washers from ACE Hardware or a nut & bolt distributor. If you own a Ferret Nation cage you will need the larger washers due to the wide vertical bar spacing. Trust me you dont want your chin to leap blindly onto a ledge that will give way and fall.
Here is a picture of all the hardware
100_1373.jpg

Before you start any screw or bolt project it is important to drill "Relief Holes" or "Pilot Holes". Wood, especially hard wood can split if you try and drive a screw or bolt into it. If you drill a slightly smaller hole than the bolt, you remove the materiel making it easier for the bolt to bite into the wood. It is more time consuming, but gives a professional fit, and keeps the bolt more secure in the wood. When you pick a drill size for the fastener you are using, line up the bit with the bolt or screw, and make sure the inside of the bolt barely overshadows the drill bit (see pic). Most drill bits will drill a hole slightly larger than their stated size, due to wobble from the drill head, or bit alignment. I am using a 9/64" drill bit for the 3/8" bolts.
100_1383.jpg

If you decide to use hanger bolts I will show you a trick for installing and removing them quickly without damage, and without getting the wing nut stuck (cross threading). You can use wing nuts, but the more appropriate way is to use hex nuts. First thread the 2 Hex nuts onto the bolt (see pic).
100_1374.jpg

Then turn the 2 hex nuts in opposite directions until they stop against each other, turn until they are finger tight (see pic).
100_1375.jpg

Next use a Socket wrench, Hex wrench, or Crescent wrench to turn the top nut only. This puts all of the torque of the wrench into turning the bolt into the wood(see pic). You can then reverse the wrench and unscrew the 2 nuts by hand.
100_1378.jpg

This is a picture of a finished Hanger bolt. As you can see, it will hang out of the cage a good 3/4", but allows you to quickly remove ledges with a wing nut. You could remove the end of the bolt with a grinder, dremmel tool, or bolt cutter, but without a Tap & Die set, you risk damaging the threads of the bolt permanently.
100_1379.jpg

I prefer using lag screws... They require tools to remove, but offer a clean flush fit, and do not snag clothing and door frames when moving cages.
100_1381.jpg

Currently it is about the same price for both options.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use normal wood screws and washers - it's quick, works very well, and is also cost effective. :)

I like that last picture you put up there Noble. I am tired of snagging my clothes and hands on every blessed thing in the chin rooms. If it's not the feeders, it's the cages. If it's not the cages, it's the ledges. Ugh.

I use the lag screws, as well. I can use them a billion times with much less effort than driving in the hanger bolts. A ratcheting socket wrench allows me to get them in very quickly and easily. I have a lot of cages and am constantly putting in ledges...so I have to have quick and easy. The hanger bolts get caught up on the sides of my racks when I put the cages back...so I had to stop using them.

I'll have to send people to this thread to see all the good pictures of shelves and ledges and things. Those little ledges from the store are expensive! If people can make them on their own, that's just so much better...and customizable!

I think I have a ton of hanger bolts left around here that just ended up in a coffee can. I should find them and send them to someone, who can use them all. :)

If you happened to look at my original post, I posted pictures, so I'm not sure what you mean. I put pictures of hanger bolts, since those are what I use.

I am sorry Alli, I meant to address some of the other posts regarding stuck wingnuts by giving a visual reference. But you are correct, I could have done without the first paragraph and pictures, as it was already covered well in your first post. Please don't take offense.

I just use normal wood screws and washers - it's quick, works very well, and is also cost effective. :)

Ahhh Claire Bear... I would imagine, that if I managed to put my lawnchair on the Moon, you would still contest the manner in which it was done... LOL
I thank you for your insight and constructive criticism, it helps keep me honest.
And definitely keeps the forum how would you say... "Right proper"! :wink2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh Claire Bear... I would imagine, that if I managed to put my lawnchair on the Moon, you would still contest the manner in which it was done... LOL
I thank you for your insight and constructive criticism, it helps keep me honest.
And definitely keeps the forum how would you say... "Right proper"! :wink2:
Interesting perspective .................. taking things a tad personally don't you think?

I am merely sharing what I do to secure shelves to the cages here at Monty's Manor. :rolleyes:

I have a question, do some people not sand down the corners? All the shelves I have purchased always have the corners rounded. I would love to make my own shelves but I don't know how I would be able to round the corners

You can round them with a piece of sandpaper if you want to. It's not hard. But some people just cut the wound and mount it.

At first I thought it was a great idea to precision cut, Router, and sand all corners... And then in 1 day my chins destroyed hours worth of work. Who would have imagined they like wood so much. LOL:hair:

If you are looking for custom shelves, this place is pretty cool
http://www.simplychintastic.com/index.htm

But if your chins chew wood like 90% of ours do, just do a light sanding as they will tear up anything they can get their mouth on.

Back