How to make chinspin more quiet?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maggie:-)

My chin Maggie has a chinspin,it is so noisey it rattles the whole cage when she runs on it. Is there anything that can be done to make it more quiet?! I have heard of otheres putting a piece of wood or somthing behind it?! Can anyone tell me what works and pictures would be helpful :)

Last edited:
Make sure it is actually as round as you can get it. (so it does not wobble)
Put it along the bottom side as close to the floor as you can without it interfering pan removal.
Put it on the short side of the cage. (to minimize the amount it will shake the cage.)
Make sure the bolts are at corners to keep them from slipping around.
I put washers on both sides of the cage to keep the arms from slipping around.

Thank you i will try the washers on both sides. Im almost to the point of taking it out of the cage its so loud. But i really dont want to do that because she loves that thing,shw even sleeps in it everyday.

Both of my FN142's have them and they hardly make any noise. My girls run a lot, really fast. They are in the center of the cage along the short side. Sorry, I'm not much help!

My cage is not as sturdy as aferret nation i guess :-(
Its a prevue hendryx? Its a good cage but it just about rolls around the room when she starts running lol

Maybe firm up that side of the cage with full length shelves above and/or below the chinspin? I'm not sure what that cage looks like. Is it maybe the cage or things in the cage making most of the noise and not the wheel it self? I would hate for Maggie to lose her wheel. Gizmo, Micah and Sterling run, snack, nap, play, etc in theirs!

Yes it is def the cage. The wheel itself makes no noise. Ive tried putting pieces of fleece between the cage bars and where the bolts are but it didnt help.
No i dont think i will really take her wheel out but i just feel horrible because her cage is downstairs in the room next to where people sleep. So while i am upstairs sleeping good they are downstairs listening to it all night lol
Shes funny because she sleeps on it so every 20 min or so she wakes up and runs for a few min and then lays down and goes back to sleep and she does it constantly day and night.
I thought maybe if i put a piece of thin wood between the wheel and the cage that might help? Like drill holes in the wood for the bolts to go thru and everything.

Yeah, if the problem is the sturdiness of the cage, you need to reinforce it with shelves on that side. The side I have my chinspin on has shelves that run the length and screw to the adjacent side as well to prevent the cage from flexing.

back when i had a quality company cage, the wheel would rattle the cage so much that i couldn't sleep at night. rutherford doesn't exactly run on the wheel to exercise... he likes to sprint and sprint, and then run off as the wheel spins like crazy. ahhhh!

what i used to do to keep the rattling to a minimum was to put a shelf directly above the wheel, as close as possible without interfering with the movement of the wheel. then i'd put another shelf adjacent to it to firm up the long side of the cage. it doesn't completely eliminate the noise, but it does make it slightly less noisy.

also, have you checked the bearings? sometimes when the bearings need to be changed, the wheel will wobble and shake a lot more than usual.

What about reinforcing the cage with a couple pieces of steel? A few people have used that to keep bars from snapping... I think it would also anchor the wheel and make it more sturdy. I had my Chin Spin in a cheaper petstore cage when I first got it. It rattled like crazy. With the FN it is much quieter. The other thing to look at is, is it possible the cage is bumping the wall? If I kept the cage too close to the wall my chin would knock the cage into the wall when he ran which made a lot of noise. Also if your cage is on wheels you should be able to lock the wheels. If not get a couple bricks or something to keep the cage in place. This'll help the sound and be better on your floors. I can't imagine it sliding back and forth all the time is good on the floor.

Back