How to encourage Chinchilla to eat more hay?

ChocolatPocky

I adopted a Chinchilla about a month ago, and he definitely has a preference for pellets over hay (probably how he got his molar spurs which had to be removed a few weeks ago).

How do I get him more interested in hay? I now have several varieties of it, but he still has a preference for pellets. I can cut the amount of pellets available but I don't want him to go hungry... I've tried stuffing the hay into a jar of oats to have them smell like oats, because he loooves oats, but he wouldn't gobble up the hay like I was hoping he would!

Tips appreciated, thanks!

Amethyst

Staff member
An adult chin should only have about 2tb of pellets a day, the rest should be hay, so if you are feeding more then that you can cut back. Also have you tried mixing the hay types together? Sometimes that helps get them interested. You may also need to try different brands of hay, chins can be picky. You could also try hay toppers, like one from Fuzzies Kingdom or you can make your own, basically herbal treats that you sprinkle over the hay.

ChocolatPocky

An adult chin should only have about 2tb of pellets a day, the rest should be hay, so if you are feeding more then that you can cut back. Also have you tried mixing the hay types together? Sometimes that helps get them interested. You may also need to try different brands of hay, chins can be picky. You could also try hay toppers, like one from Fuzzies Kingdom or you can make your own, basically herbal treats that you sprinkle over the hay.
I tried a sample pack from rabbitholehay.com and he loved the medium timothy hay! Guess he really wasn't feeling the oxbow (still likes the oxbow oat hay tho). Phew, hopefully this will help prevent him from getting molar spurs in the future!

Latest posts