How to deal with this customer regarding chinchilla death

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To put it cold and blunt. No body. No necropsy. NOT YOUR PROBLEM! Did she sign an agreement when she bought the chin?

I agree! I would not give her a dime and tell her to save her lame story for the judge...

I copied my policy into the e-mail and told her that since it is only a few days after the 15 day health guarantee deadline, I would replace the animal IF she provides me a statement from the vet with the cause of death proving to be genetic or an illness that may have arisen here and a picture of the body. As morbid as it is, I do think that the picture is a good idea so that I can ensure that any necropsy report given to me is actually from one of my chinchillas... and not another chinchilla she may have killed. Of course, she said that was impossible because the body is gone since the garbage was picked up today. This customer still begged me for a replacement chinchilla. After I told her I will not replace the animal, she is now begging for me to discount $50 on another chinchilla so she gets "some sort of compensation."

My goodness.

She just wants a free or cheap chin, imo. Most every pet owner I know, buries their chin or has them cremated by a vet, they don't throw them in the trash. At least not if they care about them. I truly think she is just trying to rip you off.

Why should she be "compensated" for an accident that was not obviously your fault? I hate how some people have such a sense of entitlement. If she had a problem with the contract that she signed, she should have said something before she signed it. Now she's gotta live with it.

I would tell her to look on craigslist there are plenty on there. I would not give her a discount or refund, in fact, I wouldn't sell her any more.

Did you guys have a heat wave? We have been in the 80's so the a/c has been going for 5 days. If yes, maybe it had a heat stroke.

I copied my policy into the e-mail and told her that since it is only a few days after the 15 day health guarantee deadline, I would replace the animal IF she provides me a statement from the vet with the cause of death proving to be genetic or an illness that may have arisen here and a picture of the body. As morbid as it is, I do think that the picture is a good idea so that I can ensure that any necropsy report given to me is actually from one of my chinchillas... and not another chinchilla she may have killed.

You are being completely reasonable here, and she is not. She hasn't even offered you a statement from a vet giving cause of death.

I wouldn't give her another chinchilla under any circumstances, nor would I encourage her to go to craigslist or do anything that would increase her chances of getting an animal. Just tell her that the world has completely run out of chinchillas for her, and she has to make do without. :p

OMG! Sumiko! That is crazy. I hope she just leaves you alone...I hate how she doesn't even care about what she's putting you through right now. All she seems to care about is getting something for nothing now...that's so bizarre to me!

ya know what it sounds like? "pleeeese let me have another chin. I'm so sorry but i accidentally dropped/played to rough with/fed a hamburger to that one that you gave me so since I really really want one and am super sorry can I have another one? I promise not to break it this time!"

Who the heck puts their chin in the garbage? Especially if they cared so much for it? I admit that my very first chin that I got when I was 15 was thrown away in the garbage by my Dad before I had anything to say about it but we also weren't looking for compensation from the place we got it from.

I would have even taken "i don't have money for a necropsy" as an excuse and then have her bring you the body.

Sumiko you are doing what is right and what is fair. Your contract is super clear and by signing it she agreed to the terms of it. You have every right to turn her away. Be strong!

It hasn't been too warm here yet... highs mostly in the mid 70's.

I don't want to deal with people anymore. I'm going to become a hermit and just play with the chins, lol.

I dunno, I didn't inhale very deeply while reading this post and still choked from the smell of fish!! It seems really funny that she could be so happy with her new baby and how wonderful everything was with him, then a turn on a dime - he was acting funny. Then to add insult (to your intelligence) to injury (to that poor little boy) to try to tell you that he died from running into a wall? Then, on top of evreything else - she didn't know what happened to his little body!! 1. On the business side, your policy was clearly outlined as far as replacement, even if there were some type of "defect" (aside from what was most likely more truthfully a situation of neglect, or god forbid abuse), the required necropsy, ect. was not done because - um, she lost him? 2. On the personal side, and I can only say from my perspective that given these circumstances, with the amount of "fish slinging" she has done, I'd be extemely afraid to even sell another chin. You asked for opinions, well here's mine for what it's worth. You had a legal obligation that you stood by, she didn't. You also have a moral obligation as well - it appears obvious, at least to me (forgive me if i've read too much into your post), that you have doubts about the way this baby was taken care of. if that is the case, you sould be obliged NOT to even sell another baby to this person. If it were me, I'd rely on the policy as originally set. Not to mention the fact that "giving leeway" on your policy with this would most likely be setting yourself up for further "leeway", not to mention the worry you'd be causing yourself about whether or not the next one would live very long in this home. I couldn't allow a person to have one of my babies if I had any doubts. Just let her know that as per your policy that you can't honor her "request" with a chrystal clear conscience - she can just go jump - well, just use your imagination!!;)

The trash??!! What a creep! How disrespectful to you and that poor chinchilla...I am sorry. Becoming a recluse these days sure does have its appeal...

You made the right decision. Exactly what I would have done. I have a similar policy on my website...I should probably make people start signing one...Anything in writing always stands up in court (if it got there...)

Stand firm. She knows she is in the wrong, but she will try to guilt you. Say" I am sorry but a broken neck is negligence on your part, not genetic."

wow........as i said before stand firm, especially after hearing that she tossed the body in the garbage. when i was little, i had a cat and her name was tanya, she died and my dad thru her in the garbage. i walked into the garage and saw her tail sticking out. i have been tramatized ever since. i have a horrible memory, but i will never forget that.
i am so sorry you have to deal with this person. hopefully she will leave you alone.

1. You clearly state your policy before selling her the chin.
2. YOU still upheld your 15 day health guarantee!
3. You were never aware of any health problems to begin with, and she never contacted you about any problems.
4. It has been 19 days, therefore your guarantee is now void, that is just how it is, business is business and any other store/breeder would uphold to that rule.
5. Even if it were within the 15 days, your policy states you need a necropsy and a vet note...well, she has neither after 19 days.

Case and point, do NOT give her another chinchilla! You did your part as a breeder and upheld your end of the bargain. This lady needs to learn her lesson.

first she doesn't know what her husband did with it and then she tells you it was in the garbage??????
What part of your contract did she NOT understand?
I am so sorry you are having to deal with this.

Now I've received an e-mail which says "by the way, he wasnt thrown away in the trash. we are in the middle of moving and my husband took the body to the new house and buried it in the middle of the night. I will not dig him up." Now she can't seem to get her story straight. I'm done with this woman and I do not feel comfortable selling her any more of my chins, even if she is willing to pay the full price. My instincts are telling me to run the opposite direction.

Now I've received an e-mail which says "by the way, he wasnt thrown away in the trash. we are in the middle of moving and my husband took the body to the new house and buried it in the middle of the night. I will not dig him up." Now she can't seem to get her story straight. I'm done with this woman and I do not feel comfortable selling her any more of my chins, even if she is willing to pay the full price. My instincts are telling me to run the opposite direction.
This story has more plot twists than an entire series of 24 :wacko:

I'd go with your instincts & ignore any further contact from her - you have stuck to your part of the contract & she has not: "end of".

Back