How to clean smelly ferret nation?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linzizzlejo

i love my chinzillas
Just got a couple used ferret nations--- was wondering what is the best thing to use to get rid of the strong smell of ferrets?

Also a 'Helosie' tip - make a paste with vinegar and baking soda, put it on the smelly/soiled areas and let it sit for a while. Then use a scrubbing brush/scrapper to clean. I did this once on a really bad cage and it worked pretty good.

I ended taking the whole thing apart to scrub scrub and extra scrub with soap and water, then rinse like your life depends on it, then more scrubbing with vinegar and water, more rinsing, towel dry and air dry outside! The smell was horrible when I got my cage that used to house ferrets!

I ended taking the whole thing apart to scrub scrub and extra scrub with soap and water, then rinse like your life depends on it, then more scrubbing with vinegar and water, more rinsing, towel dry and air dry outside! The smell was horrible when I got my cage that used to house ferrets!

Alena-- I think that is what I will do, we had to take the entire cage apart to fit them in our car anyway so i'm already halfway there

thanks everyone

Update::

Spent 2 hours scrubbing all the parts to the cage with vinegar. Also had to use CLR on a lot of holes where the bolts go...lots of rust. The cages themselves seem to not smell anymore, but all of the plastic trays still smell very badly. Any tips for just the plastic parts? I can't afford bass pans.. I'm thinking tiling the floor, if there is no way to get the plastic to not stink

Back