How to clean a poo-encrusted Chin Spin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maia

Forever Weird
Many of you probably know I had some problems with Sebastian having squishy poo lately. It is getting better thanks to slowly mixing in new feed (Tradition) in with his old Mazuri, but his poor Chin Spin is suffering!

I have tried paper towels and warm water, which does basically nothing. Any suggestions how to get the poo off? I don't want to scrub too hard, as I'm concerned with scratching the powder coating. This can't be good for his poor little feets!!:duh:

I don't know about chin spins but on the Ed spins I spray vinegar and water and use a plastic putty knife, then wipe it down with paper towels. Maybe someone else can give you advice for chin spins.

I use a plastic scrub brush, or even a toothbrush. As long as you don't use a super-stiff or metal-bristled brush, you won't scratch the powder coating.
Letting some vinegar-water sit on there for a few minutes will help too.

I even pour some diluted Mr.clean and hot water...let it sit and scrub it with a soft bristle brush that I use to clean the wires in my cage! I just have urine build up though! Make sure you rinse it really well- several times- if you are using potentially harmful or heavily scented cleaners (they don't bother my chin at all):thumbsup:

I would not use Mr. Clean in a cage. Vinegar works even better on urine buildup and is safe to use around the chin.

As for the chin spin, put some peroxide in a spray bottle and spray the wheel down. It will bubble up and after about 10 min you will be able to just wipe everything away.

Thanks everyone! I used a kitchen sponge and threw it away afterwards. I think maybe next time a manicure brush would work well? They are cheap and soft.

Back