How quickly do chinchillas pass/digest thiings?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChocolatPocky

Mr B made some strange poops today, they are kind of soft, misshapen, and little bit of it is even gummy, like... a booger. o_O I'm wonder if this is him passing a piece of duck tape from last week (he got a piece and chewed on part of it over night :/ ), or if its the dried nettle leaf he ate yesterday.

Since they poop so much, I kind of assume stuff goes through pretty quick? He had some normal/regular poops earlier in the evening, and they appear back to normal now. I'll still keep an eye on it. His eating/activity seems normal.

Sometimes when I notice Mr. B has soft-ish but normal looking poop, I feed him a few pieces of rolled oats to help. Is there anything else anyone would recommend for minor constipation? (natural remedies) Does feeding them probiotics help?

It normally takes about 12 hours, 24 at most, for something to go through a chin, unless it's stuck. It could have been the dried nettle, if he has never had it before it might not agree with him, that is one reason it's best to give new treats spaced out, so you can monitor to see if they have any reaction to it. Nettle should help with diarrhea not cause it though, but just like humans sometimes things don't agree with their stomach especially if it's something new in the diet.

Rolled oats are not really a good idea, they can cause gas. If the poops aren't right you don't want to be giving treats anyway. For wet poop (meaning diarrhea) a better idea would be to increase fiber intake by pulling pellets. You can also tried burned toast, burn it black and scrap off the black charred bits to give to the chin (works like active charcoal in Pepto-Bismol does for humans) . You can also get probiotics to help, Bene Bac seems to be the one I've seen recommended.

If you do mean constipation, as in very small poops, then you can try a bit of dandelion leaf. But constipation should be treated fairly quickly and better off getting a vet's help they trying to treat on your own since it can turn into stasis if they stop pooping all together.

It normally takes about 12 hours, 24 at most, for something to go through a chin, unless it's stuck. It could have been the dried nettle, if he has never had it before it might not agree with him, that is one reason it's best to give new treats spaced out, so you can monitor to see if they have any reaction to it. Nettle should help with diarrhea not cause it though, but just like humans sometimes things don't agree with their stomach especially if it's something new in the diet.

Rolled oats are not really a good idea, they can cause gas. If the poops aren't right you don't want to be giving treats anyway. For wet poop (meaning diarrhea) a better idea would be to increase fiber intake by pulling pellets. You can also tried burned toast, burn it black and scrap off the black charred bits to give to the chin (works like active charcoal in Pepto-Bismol does for humans) . You can also get probiotics to help, Bene Bac seems to be the one I've seen recommended.

If you do mean constipation, as in very small poops, then you can try a bit of dandelion leaf. But constipation should be treated fairly quickly and better off getting a vet's help they trying to treat on your own since it can turn into stasis if they stop pooping all together.

Hmm I wonder if the nettle leaf helped Mr. B pass the duck tape stuff? He's had nettle leaf before, although not in a few months. After eating it he got super hyper and bounced all over the place! His poops have looked good since the weird soft poops so whatever it is he pooped it out.

I remember reading somewhere that toast or rolled oats were good for soft poops, but I'll just feed him the burnt toast next time. He hasn't had wet/goopy poop before. Sometimes it's soft/funny looking at worst.

Last edited:
Back