how often can i feed goji berries? rosebuds? chamomiles?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shopaholic0514

So I bought more herbs for my boys and they love them all. And now I have rosehips, goji berries, rosebuds, chamomiles and oat flakes.
I can only give them one kind each day?

I would only give one kind a day.
I dont think its good for a chin to get numerous treats through out the day, I could be wrong. I give mine a treat every other day. I only give cheerios and rosehips though.

From what I understand the reason of why we only give one treat a day is because of the sugar and fat they can get from the treats, I'm just not sure if any of the herbs I just got contains a lot of sugar or fat?

We also only give one treat a day to keep from the treats interfering in their normal diet. I give a couple of chew sticks a day, but I only give real treats a couple times a week. My boy was getting petulant when he didn't get his daily treat so I gave him tough love.

The dried herbs you can mix and give a pinch of daily. I give goji berries once a week but that's just because I have so many chins. When someone gets sick I give them daily due to the vit C content and antioxidants.

I have goji berries, but I only feed them once every 4-6 weeks because of the sugar and the conflicting info about them. I offer rose buds every 2 weeks, but it's hit or miss whether they'll take them. I usually stick to rosehips, shredded wheat, oats and cheerios. Tanya was kind enough to include a sample of one of her supplements with my last order (Broad Spectrum, I believe), so I've been offering that in lieu of the others the past few weeks. They LOVE it!

i do an herbal mix that includes rose petals, dried chamomile, oats, and several other herbs/flowes. my chins get a small pinch every night.

personally i love the goji berries. for 1 berry, the sugar content is actually quite low when compared to the content of a raisin. they also have some good benefits as well. that being said.....i only give my chins 1 goji berry maybe twice a week. i alternate between that and a couple other organic items, extra sticks, oat heads, home made hay cookies, etc.... i usually do this when i get home from work and do a head check!

Goji Berry - most nutritious & richest antioxidant food source on earth

Goji Berry

Most nutritious and richest antioxidant food source on earth

Serving size 40 grams, which is equal to approximately 1.5 ounces.
This total consists of 30 grams of SIMPLE SUGAR.
1.5 ounce bag contains approximately 262 to 450 berries.
So if you take 30 grams of sugar divide by 450 berries it comes to 0.06.

The sugar is so low for one berry that its effects are almost zero on a chinchilla. Actually the benefits far out do the sugar contents. You can do the research on the Internet about the health benefits of Goji Berries.

As for me I have been feeding my chinchillas Goji Berries for over 6 years.

I know a lot of people talk and worry about sugar intake for chinchillas.

Has anyone on this forum done a real test and study on timothy hay?
You will be surprise that it actually contains sugar. Other hay types also contain sugar.

First of all sugar does not cause diabetic illness.

I would be more worried about soy and GMO products in pellets than anything else out there for chinchillas. I have completely switched over to Organic Rabbit Pellets just because of what I mentioned above.

I have been studying organic and natural herbs and supplement along with nutrition for over 30 years. One of my best teachers and along being my personal doctor for years and with the most knowledge on the subject. Was a doctor out of Phoenix and had the number one talk show on radio in the Phoenix Valley. She is a nutritionist with a PhD. Also as I speak today cured herself of Lupus as there is no known cure for it. I have talked to her for hours on hours on human health and pet and small animal care. She in my heart is one of the most knowledgeable people on the subject. Of course there are others out there. I would take her advice over any practicing doctor today out in the field practicing main stream medicine. First of all a normal doctor has no schooling or knowledge in nutrition. Also most vets have no knowledge or really not much schooling on nutrition and its value to small animals.

Oh, by the way in my early 20’s I almost died of lead poisoning and she is the one who found it and I was on natural herbal medicine right away. How did she find out, I had my hair analyzed by her. Also was loaded with aluminum. So her advice stop drinking any water without being filtered and to stop drinking anything to do with aluminum cans.

I wish I had the money to have all my chins hair analyzed to see the real health they have inside. This is the only way to find out there health condition and along with the human body. Now they have added blood test along with the hair testing.

I pray every day for her as she probably saved my life. She said I was so close of lead poisoning death that if no one would have caught it I would not be living today to write this about Goji Berries.

Good advice on heart health look up Dr. Sinatra. General health and telling the truth on mainstream medical system and the lies behind the subject is Dr. Mercola.

Someone had posted either here or on facebook that goji berries were actually bad for chinchillas. I don't remember who posted it, or why it was argued that they should not be fed to chins...maybe someone here knows. I feed the occasional chin cookie, but really don't feel the need to feed treats as they aren't necessary in a chin's diet. Plenty of wood sticks is really the only consistent treat I give.

I do not consider a Goji Berry as a treat. I consider it as a nutritional value to my chins life. I do not feed treats to my chins. I just add nutritional value to their diet with herbs, supplements and more.

It is almost like a human later in life you need supplements to balance your nutritional value to your bodies needs. Do you know that today that you need almost 12 to 30 pounds of broccoli to equal the same nutritional value that are parents and grandparents had when they ate it.

Well this is the same that is going on in the nutritional value of pellets.

Example: COQ10 is one of the most valuable supplements needed after the mid 20's for your life. The body almost and sometimes stops producing after the 20’s. One of the most valuable supplements necessary for the heart.

But most supplements and herbal supplements are necessary to drain and rid of toxics in the body. This also goes for chinchillas, especially with all the chemicals that are in the daily feeding of chin or rabbit pellets.

Some day most people will realize what is going on in the food chain for humans along with small animals as pet, but also large animals.

That is why I have converted over to all organic pellets for my chins. But also for so many years for me.

Also the organic pellets in 50 pounds just came out at the end of last year. They come out of a mill in Wisconsin.

Propaganda from a website that is selling the item does not change my mind, I won't feed them period.

Also, chinchillas have different requirements than people do. A human nutritionist will most likely have no idea what a chinchilla requires to be healthy.

Just a quick question, what has aluminum in your hair got to do with lead poisoning?

Who is this Phoenix nutritionist? Some things don't seem to add up. If she had found the cure to Lupus, I think a lot of people would not be suffering today. Couldn't she just be in remission? Plus... near-death lead poisoning doesn't need to be "caught," the nausea would be so severe that he'd be in the emergency room. And if the only problem was unfiltered water, the people Randy eats with would also be sick. Not to be confrontational... I'm just having a torrid love affair with skepticism.

Back