How much weight is too much?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinatoandChili

Hi everyone, just a small question: how much would you say a chin should way on average? I know it can vary to the chin but Minato was a bit underweight since his last checkup since you could feel his spine. Ever since, I’ve been giving him a quarter size treat of Critical Care that he’s been enjoying often. Up to date, he weighs 769 grams and just wanted to make sure he is doing good health wise. Thanks!

It's hard to say, it's kind of like asking how much should a human weigh, it depends on genetics. A healthy weight for an adult chin could be anywhere from about 400g for a small chin, to over 1,200g for a large chin, and be anywhere from about 9-15 inches long (not including the tail). A better way to figure out if he is under or over weight is body condition, you have to feel him. When you pet down his body the spine and ribs should feel like they are under a thin layer of fat, kind of like how the back of your hand feeds (assuming you aren't extremely fat or thin). If the ribs feel more like furry bones he is too thin, if you have to actually press to feel the ribs under the fat then he is too fat. Also another thing to watch for, fat chins get fat rolls under their arms.

It's hard to say, it's kind of like asking how much should a human weigh, it depends on genetics. A healthy weight for an adult chin could be anywhere from about 400g for a small chin, to over 1,200g for a large chin, and be anywhere from about 9-15 inches long (not including the tail). A better way to figure out if he is under or over weight is body condition, you have to feel him. When you pet down his body the spine and ribs should feel like they are under a thin layer of fat, kind of like how the back of your hand feeds (assuming you aren't extremely fat or thin). If the ribs feel more like furry bones he is too thin, if you have to actually press to feel the ribs under the fat then he is too fat. Also another thing to watch for, fat chins get fat rolls under their arms.
Thank you! I’ve been able to determine that he is in the average or healthy weight zone. After your suggestions, I’ve been able to note that he’s in good shape! Thank you!

Back