How much to feed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SSGSteane

I was told 1 - 2 tablespoons per chinchilla, so I've been putting in 4 tablespoons in a bowl at 10am. By 10pm it's all gone and I don't feed them again till 10am. I thought this was ok, but today I noticed the size of their poo has doubled in size. Is that normal? I haven't changed their feed or anything.

I free feed my chins, I don't measure. I try to always have pellets available to them in case they want to munch.

The amount of food you are giving them, if their food has not changed, should not affect the size of their poop. Is it squishy? Is it normal consistency? Is there a bad odor to it or any kind of mucous on it? I don't jump up and down screaming if size changes, I worry more about consistency. When I did a food switch to Nutrena, almost all my chins poop seemed to double in size, but it's completely normal in every other way.

If the bowl is getting emptied then you should increase the amount you are giving until you have some leftover the next morning, then toss that and give fresh pellets. Most people free feed. I consider myself to be a free feeder too even though I do measure my pellets, I do it only to gauge how much they are eating and there is always plenty of pellets left when I dump and refill :). Do you also give unlimited hay? Chins need to constantly wear their teeth down so they always need hay to aid in that as well as for the fiber for their gut.

Chins will not over eat like some animals, so free feeding is usually how most poeple go about it, also seeing as chins will dig or throw etc. their food sometimes, you never know how much they are or are not eating (at least with my girls *rolls eyes*).

And poop will change in size more than once throughout the day, so I wouldn't worry about it if that is the only issue

I was under the impression that chins needed food available to them at all times and don't do well without food for long...don't know if that is entirely correct but I try not to put too much food in Tinkerbell's bowl, so as not to have too much food exposed and losing food quality, but I try to make sure I never completely run out.

I give Puddles 2 tablespoons each night and that leaves her a bit in there until the next time I feed her. A few times she finishes it all and then I refill it early. :)

Thanks for all the replies, I'll add more food in there today and see how much of it is left over in the morning. As for the poo, there was a pyramid of very large poo stacked up but I guess they buried it because I can't find it so I don't know the consistency of it. As for hay, I have 3 of those hay cubes in there at all times.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll add more food in there today and see how much of it is left over in the morning. As for the poo, there was a pyramid of very large poo stacked up but I guess they buried it because I can't find it so I don't know the consistency of it. As for hay, I have 3 of those hay cubes in there at all times.
Hay cubes are great for some (my chins nibble on them occasionally), and I know that I have read that there are some that use them exclusively, but I personally feel that loose hay is needed to help wear their back teeth properly and also because they just love to eat it and it gives them another form of recreation (hay flinging) :).

I was under the impression that chins needed food available to them at all times and don't do well without food for long...don't know if that is entirely correct but I try not to put too much food in Tinkerbell's bowl, so as not to have too much food exposed and losing food quality, but I try to make sure I never completely run out.

Correct. If chins don't eat for long they can go into something called Stasis, which can kill them, they need access to food and hay all the time. I don't know long it will take to go into Stasis, but I know it happens from reading the forums.

I myself didn't realize that they won't overeat and only gave about two heaping tablespoons of pellets at night (cuz they are nocternal) and always hay in the dishes. But actually, they never finish the pellets so I always have enough food in my chins bowls.

Jean

Hay cubes are great for some (my chins nibble on them occasionally), and I know that I have read that there are some that use them exclusively, but I personally feel that loose hay is needed to help wear their back teeth properly and also because they just love to eat it and it gives them another form of recreation (hay flinging) :).

I'll be sure to pick up some loose hay soon. Timothy hay right?

Sorry, but I forgot to mention that oxychin was correct poop does different in size depending on time of day or when they ate last, but that is normal.

But also, like Tunes said, as long as there is nothing wrong with it (the poop), like soft, smelly, etc. everything she said, then don't worry about the size unless it's always small, then that means they can have constipation and then that would need to be addressed.

That's all I can think of to say, best of luck to you.

Jean

I just checked their poo, it's rather soft and squishy. I think it was a lot harder before.

What feed are they on? If you think their poo is too soft you can give them a shredded wheat square (the no sugar added cereal mini wheat squares is what I buy) and some probiotics for their gut. You can find acidophilus in the vitamin section of most groceries but you can find the highest organism count in health food stores. How long have you had them?

My chins all eat different amounts. I free feed, but I always measure and write down amounts.
Bubbles eats usually 5 tablesppons of food, sometimes 6 per day.
Doof eats about 3 tablespoons.
Aiko and Rini get 4 tablespoons in their bowls, about 2 tablespoons each and it's eaten.
And my lil guy eats about 2-3 tablespoons.
I do free feed like said, but I like to know how much they're eating for my chart (Nerd here) so that when they start to eat less, I can know how much it's decreased and when I should be alarmed.

What feed are they on? If you think their poo is too soft you can give them a shredded wheat square (the no sugar added cereal mini wheat squares is what I buy) and some probiotics for their gut. You can find acidophilus in the vitamin section of most groceries but you can find the highest organism count in health food stores. How long have you had them?

I am still using the food the breeder gave me, I haven't switched yet. I've only had them for a little over a week. I doubled their food yesterday and in the morning it was still all gone. Should I keep the doubled amount or add more?

Free feed.......Just make sure there is food in their bowls at all times.....if they are emptying it...chances are they want more. I check mine everytime I go in the room and make sure there is always food and hay and water available 24/7. I don't measure it, but I know when they haven't eaten. Is a little hard to prove who ate what when ya have 3 chins in the same cage. so I see no point in measuring here, it wouldn't really tell me anything. However I let them out of the cage 1 at a time for 5 minutes alone and see how their poops look. If they all look good then they get 45 minutes playtime all together, :)

IMO, you should give enough so that they don't run out. You don't want way too much, but keep trying different measured amounts until you find one that has them eating most, but not all of their food.

I am still using the food the breeder gave me, I haven't switched yet. I've only had them for a little over a week. I doubled their food yesterday and in the morning it was still all gone. Should I keep the doubled amount or add more?
Some loose poo when switching from one location to another (in this case, the breeder's to your house) is completely normal, it can be a little stressful for them. Keep an eye on it see how it is for the next few days. In the meantime if you can try the shredded wheat and the probiotics it may help them get straightened out faster.

I would add more food to the bowl if they have emptied it. From everything I have read chinchillas really don't over-eat. So you won't be causing them any harm giving more feed. Timothy hay is the main hay most people feed. I mix in some Orchard grass and Oat hay for a little variety but it isn't necessary :).

Back