How much should she weigh?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x_Lauren_x

Hii
So I have a 1and 1/2 year old female Chinchilla.
I'm worried that she is under weight.
Oortjies currently weighs 370 grams.
She has lost weight since March and I don't know why. She eats regularly and a lot as well.
Unfortunately my parents said they can't afford to take her to a vet.
Any advice?

The best way to figure out what is wrong is to take her to the vet, but there are a couple things you can look at to see what the issue might be. What are you feeding? Like what kind of pellets and what kind of treats and how much. Also is she eating her hay and chewing on toys ok? If not it could be a tooth issue, which needs to be corrected by the vet. Chins are good at hiding illness and issues so normally once you notice something it's serious and time to go to the vet. Weight loss is commonly the first sign of an issue, how much has she lost?

I would see if you can find a friend or family member that you can maybe borrow money from, or see if you can sell something to get the money for a vet. You could also maybe look into a vet care credit card, I don't know where you live but I know in the US and Canada they have them, they act like a credit card but is only for vet care. They pay the bill and you pay it back over time.

I have heard that vet care credit cards have high interest rates if you don’t pay them back in a few months.

I have heard that vet care credit cards have high interest rates if you don’t pay them back in a few months.
That may be but I figure that's better then just letting the chin suffer and/or die. I know one up here in Canada you decide on the repayment schedule, anywhere from over the course of 6 months to several years. I also assumed it's a situation of hard times due to the corona shut down of things, but if it's a situation of being too poor to ever be able to afford going to the vet then it's better to just surrender the chin to a shelter so it can get care.

I just meant that they might be better off using a regular credit card depending on the cost. It is just what I had heard.

Back