How much do you feed your chin(s)?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unlimited, but I measure so I can monitor the food intake. Two tablespoons per chin is just the average that an adult chinchilla eats, some eat more some a little less.

Free feed, definitely. Chins won't overeat on anything other than treats. Hay, pellets, and water are a great unlimited foundation for their diet.

I free feed mine as well.
I usually fill the bowl up, then top it off the next day(sometimes I need to take some out, sometimes not) so I'm not dumping the whole bowl daily.

i measure my chins food every time i feed them. It makes it much easier to track if they stop eating or start eating more. I usually give them 2 good tbls each. When i switched my males to a new food (which they loved) they upped there intake to 4tbls each. Which is much better then the other way around. But i like to monitor things like that. - If they eat it all, ill give them more. If they are eating a less then i might back off a little as to not waste as much.

i measure my chins food every time i feed them. It makes it much easier to track if they stop eating or start eating more. I usually give them 2 good tbls each. When i switched my males to a new food (which they loved) they upped there intake to 4tbls each. Which is much better then the other way around. But i like to monitor things like that. - If they eat it all, ill give them more. If they are eating a less then i might back off a little as to not waste as much.

I do the same as you. i have a scoop that is 2 tablespoons exactly. I just scoop food in when they need.

Free feed, My girls eat small portions through the day. I should start following their diet. :)

My chin doesn't eat that much. I normally just fill up the bottom of her bowl once a day and she never eats all of it.

Back