How much critical care is safe to give?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarnetKrow

TLDR: the vet recommended feeding 20-25ml of critical care 3 times a day (total of 60-75ml a day), which seems like a crazy amount. Any thoughts?

Hello, my chins recently hurt her leg doing god knows what. She had torn soft tissue on the hind left leg before, and after 2 to 3 months of cage rest, she was deemed as healed by the vet. Skip forward another 3 months, I suddenly find that the same left leg has blood on it. Upon looking at it, the skin on the front of her thigh had been ripped off. Since I have never seen her fighting with her cage mate, nor do I see any blood anywhere in the cage, my vet said she might have done it to herself (?!). This was this Sunday.
Took her in today (Wed), the wound is a lot better now, and the vet today told me it looks more superficial and not infected anymore. Worth noting that this was the same vet branch, different dr. However, between this Sunday and today, she had slowly stopped eating, and therefore pooping. I was worried that the antibiotics and pain meds she had been put on decreased her appetite. The vet today recommended changing up her meds, and feeding critical care. He prescribed to feed my chin 20-25ml a day 3 times a day (total of 60-75 ml a day) for 10 days to get her gut moving. That to me seems like a lot. I tried feeding her, and while she eats, she starts really fighting me before she finishes 12 ml. Anyone that has critical care insight, does that amount seem ok to you? I am worried she will develop bloat. She is otherwise alert, though her fur has suffered. Thanks.

Back