How many pets do you have?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandy

Some people believe there is no such thing as a person with too many pets...only a person who can not care for all of the pets they have.

I (meaning my full support) have 5 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster.
I am also fostering 3 chinchillas (2 of which may be leaving very soon) and a rabbit. (recovering from spay)

My parents have 3 dogs. All are, and I hate to say it, very old. The oldest being 13-14 with severe cushings that they are trying to maintain.

Now there is a dog at the shelter I would like to adopt. I am getting a little part time job to really start putting away in the bank. It would also allow me to take on a dog completely on my own. This dog was at the shelter in October. We clicked, then he was adopted. He was returned yesterday. Didn't look so good at first either. He came up to me with his head lowered, crying, drooling..and looked up at me. A few minutes later he wouldn't leave my side. I have a bond with him that is very different. I usually don't get attached to the animals, but I don't want to 'lose' this one again.

I am only 17 (in two weeks) and home-schooled, but my pets mean everything to me and even when I go 'off' to school after high school - which I will finish soon - the animals go no where. I made that commitment when I adopted my first chin.
I'm also going for veterinary medicine, and the vet I shadow is directing me in a path a past tech of his went. She got most everything online and locally and is now an emergency tech for a very well-known 24/7 clinic here. I hope to do the same.

I just feel odd because I'm already a ''foster failure'' at the shelter. lol Because I'm the only one there that is focused and dedicated to the small animals..so I foster 'special cases' when they come in.

Just wanted to hear opinions. I know there are a lot of breeders here with many chins...but in all...

How many pets do you have? What are they? How do you feel about the subject and about larger pet 'families'?

I currently have 2 cats (one turns 16 this year, the other turns 6) and two chins. I have had a higher pet count previously, but intend to stay where I am for a while. One question I always ask myself when I am considering getting a new pet is: can I afford the pet bills? While the initial cost of purchasing a pet might not be very high, if the pet at some point needed extensive care, could I cover the cost? Also, the realities of moving and bringing pets with you can be a lot harder than it sounds. Of course, where there is a will there is a way, but realistically speaking, having more pets makes it harder to find rental housing in the majority of places. Then there are considerations such as, when you move out on your own, along with the costs of independent living, will you be able to fully support your pets? Will you have the means of getting them to the vet in the case of an emergency? And on a less financially related note: are you able to spend a good amount of one on one time with each of your pets each day? Would adding more pets change this in a negative way?

Things like this are, I think, important long term considerations. While I intend to welcome more pets into my family in the future, I know that as a grad student with limited funds and limited space, it wouldn't be fair for me to take them all on right now. I will wait until I am well-established financially and own my own home before adding more.

I guess my point is, it is important to identify your own personal limitations and to follow them through so that you can give your fur-family the best life that you can. If, within your own limits you think that you can reasonably do this, then sure, add more. If you think maybe you should wait, then wait.

PS. I wrote this with pet ownership in mind, not breeding :)

When you have a big heart, it's hard not to get attached to animals and want to save them all. I've connected with quite a few shelter animals and even though I wanted them so so bad I had to realize when I could and when I couldn't take them home.

For that reason, I don't foster, ever. I just can't because I would fail every time. The exception is rabbits, as I've been "rabbited-out" so even though my foster bunnies are ridiculously adorable and I love spoiling them, I have no problem passing them off to a new home.

I have 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 geckos, a tortoise and a geriatric chin in my full care. My mom is caring for the rest of the herd of chinchillas right now and graciously covers about 75% of their costs (minus vet bills) until I graduate next May. My zoo takes up a lot of my time and a lot of my money, but they make me smile constantly, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Food, toys, vet bills, pet-sitting/dog-walking costs all add up very quickly (especially since I will be out of town for about 12 weeks during the next 15 months-yikes!). Also, I pay a substantial bit of money to live in a house that will LET me have my pets, and an additional monthly fee to HAVE my pets live here. A lot of people think I'm crazy, but I'm okay with that!

I'm at my limit right now (even though I have a grocery list of animals I want), until I graduate and get a 'real' real job.

I think you and your parents need to have a very serious, realistic conversation about your future and how much support they are willing to give you.

Oh, we've had that talk a many times! ha.
My parents are very willing to help me care for the animals if I were to have to go off for school.
My stepdad loves the chins, and the ones that are mine..he would never let me get rid of.

I'm not too worried about my individual situation. I know my animals will be safe and cared for in the upcoming years. Like browncow said where there is a will..there's a way.

My mother is very serious on having me teach them the basic care of the chins so they know how to care for them should something arise. (I don't forsee that happening, but it's good to have them educated!)
I've condensed housing, and have everything very laid out..I think a total stranger could walk in and care for the chins the way they're set up.

I was just giving my little back-info and wanted to know what other people own/think/etc about their own pets and living situations.

And yes..fostering is very hard. I don't really get close to the ones I take in on foster-only as I've had very many in the past who are all adopted out now. It's just they come from a place where its 'dog and cat' people. I guess I look a little silly caring so much for the munchkins.

In the condo 2 hedgehogs soon to be more, 2 guinea pigs, 1 rabbit, 2 dogs, and some guppies. On the farm 4 horses and about 50 rabbits at any given time because we breed rare breeds. We fostered dogs but now live with a 2 dog limit so we foster kittens. We plan never to have children just animals and so long as you can take care of them you don't have too many. We have goats, baby horses, and chickens in our future along with maybe dog breeding.

We live on an acreage. We have 2 horses and an alpaca on the pasture, my daughter has 4H chickens, about 10 of them.

One outside cat, plus the random strays that come by to eat.

Inside we have 3 dogs, a golden retriever, a standard poodle (each of my daughter's has custody of one of them) and a french bulldog. I just put my 14 1/2 year old yorkie down this week, and we have talked about getting another frenchie this summer so our frenchie has someone of her own magnitude to play with and we plan to breed them occasionally.
I have the chins, 11 currently, will be 15 by the end of the month. My daughter has a chameleon and my other has a betta. We also have 3 cats in the house, a DLH/tuxedo cat, a persian manx cross and a persian.

So the run down is:
2 horses
1 alpaca
10 chickens
1 outside cat
3 dogs
11 chins
3 cats
1 chameleon
1 betta

My thought is... if you can provide the needed care and love and a quality life, it's up to you. At one point I ran about 200 chins, but it was too much for my respiratory system.

We have 14 chinchillas, a cockatiel, a gerbil, a cat, and 2 dogs. The chinchillas and dogs are mine.

I really want another agility dog. Right now though, its not a good time. I want a puppy and my old dog (12 1/2) is having a rough time of it. Winters are hard for him. I don't think it would be fair to bring a puppy into the house while he's having hip, back, and breathing issues. He gets annoyed enough at my 4 yr old Border Collie for bouncing around. He doesn't need a mannerless puppy around as well.

And financially its not the best time...I owe my friend and have a credit card to pay off.

So I'll wait. The time will be right eventually. In the meantime, I'm working with one of my dog trainer's young papillons. She's a year old and just starting out in agility. She gives me more enthusiasm and speed than my Border Collie (who prefers Frisbee and tricks to agility) so I can get my puppy fix and work on my handling skills while I wait for the right time to get my own pup.

I have 3 chins plus 5 I'm currently fostering. Then there are my 3 ferrets and a cat. That's about my limit but can always find more room if I have to for another chin or ferret in need.

One dog, one chinchilla, two beta fishies, and one dwarf hamster. I'd love a hedgehog, but I really don't have room for one. :[

1 cat, 21 chins (4 are rescues), 2 degus, 7 crested geckos (with 2 more on the way).

Riven - I'm sorry to hear about your Yorkie. 14+ years is a long life!
Oh, and how are alpacas? There's a pasture not too far away that houses a few of them.
They're so funny looking.

As far as the dog I was originally talking about, we're going to foster him for his heartworm treatment.
He's very bad off. The shelter is setting up fundraisers to get him taken care of as the treatment is very expensive at this point. We also have a few things running for people we can reach out to personally.
There's also a vet who may be interested in donating some work for him.
Fingers crossed the he does well. :)

I, myself, have 8 chinchillas, 2 degus, and 4 chihuahuas. All of which are my responsibility. Pretty much the only help I get with them is when my parents let them out to go potty during the day when I'm at work. Everything else is on me.

My parents have 1 chihuahua, who's 12. Then we have 3 cats that belong to all of us.

EDIT: 8 chinchillas not 9 anymore (Lost Tucker at the end of Jan.) :( It was 9 for so long that I'm still not used to saying 8

Last edited:
Wow. I feel like a hoarder.....
1 Dog, 1 cat,
3 Finches, 2 Lovebirds,
2 Chinchillas, 2 Guinea Pigs,
6 Sugar Gliders
2 Robo Hamsters, 2 Flemish Giant Rabbits,
1 Sulcata Tortoise, 1 RES, 1 Diamondback Terrapin,
6 Bearded Dragons, 1 Long-tail lizard,
1 Green Anole, 1 Bahaman Anole,
1 60gal tank w/ Goldfish and Whiteclouds,
1 Betta, 20 gal community w/ 2 African Dwarf Frogs,
1 20 gal w/ Glofish and 4 Firebelly toads
1 35gal Guppy tank and a 300gal pond outside!

I have a fish, two hamsters (a robo and a winter white), an iguana, and a chinchilla. I agree with everyone else. You know if you have enough time to devote to another pet and if you have enough money to give another pet the proper care. It sounds like you have a good support system, so if everyone's on board and time/money are not an issue, go for it! There are so many animals I wish I could rescue, but I just can't do it. I always say if I ever become a millionaire, I'm going to quit my job and start a rescue for all types of animals! Just need to win the lottery first. ;)

DaddyslilDimwit, I like the diamondback terrapin! I'm a Terp! I even live right next to Terps Blvd. :) If I ever had one, I'd name him Testudo!

:D His name (Or hers, too young to tell) is Squirt. Someone found him(or her) stuck in a minnow trap and missing a foot, so they brought the litter bugger to me. Just about the size of a Quarter. lol. Living quite happily in a brackish setup with some baby mollies. hehe

1 Chin, 2 indoor cats, 1 doberman, 1 chihuahua, 1 fish, 2 hammies, 3 parakeets, 1 quaker parrot, and I feed up to 10 stray kitties. We'll have a dozen chickens by this time next year. I'm still trying to talk my hubby into a pair of pygmy goats!

I've got two chinchillas, a family of platy fish in an 8 gallon tank, a compost bin of worms and a luna month who I am patiently waiting to emerge from its cocoon!

I guess the chins and fish are the only real pets but the neighbor kids come by so often to see all the pets I start to think of them as family. :laughitup:

Back