How long do you leave hanging toys in the cage?.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinchilla63

The girls seem insanely excited for the first few days I hang something new. Then they'll kind of chew on it half heartedly for another week. After that, it seems like they lose all interest.
Do you leave things up till they totally shred them? Do you rotate hanging toys? Or toss it after they seem to have lost interest?

i rotate hanging toys every week. everytime i clean the cage.
and ones that alot has been chewed up already i take those out
and soak the wood or pumice stones in koolaid (no sugar) water
and then give them to Booboo.

i usually pull all the hanging toys from my boys' cage once a month, take all the pieces off, and make 'new' toys out of them by stringing the old pieces differently and adding a few new pieces. like Keisha, i soak old pieces in kool aid to refresh my chins' interest in them. they like grape and strawberry kiwi the best.

when i hang them back in the cage, a few go back in the same spots (due to not fitting anywhere else due to toy size), but most of the toys end up in new spots to keep things interesting.

You can rotate them, move them around, or add new parts to them to give them a change. I've had some toys in cages for months and they won't touch them, but for no reason, will pick them back up and destroy them. They're so picky and spoiled!

Read here on the forum before that chins act like spoiled brats very fast if you decide to give them lots of stuff at the same time... But I just want them to have loads of stuff to play with so they won't get bored and won't misbehave.

At start i just putted a lot in the cage, and they lost interest in everything fairly soon.
Now I put an equal amount of stuff in, but every few days (when I do the minor cage maintenance) i switch them around a bit. Even though i just change their location rather then the toys themselves, they go and explore like I just given them the key to magic wonderland...

When the toys are really chewed through, I replace them or compile a new toy out of left overs.

I know that chins don't appreciate changes a lot, don't know if this counts for toys... But since I made a habbit out of changing around the cage setup (toys, houses, foodbowls, all except ledges and water) they don't seem to mind!

I typically leave the toys in the cage for awhile. I'll add new pieces when the toys get chewed down and every so often, I'll swap toys between cages. Sometimes a certain chin won't like a certain type of toy, but give it to another cage and they'll devour it.

Back