How long can chin be in "burrito" blanket?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missuschubbs

Hello!

In a previous post I addressed my chinny (Koji) possibly having ringworm. I went to the vet and they gave me BioHex Shampoo (chlorhexidine/miconazole) to be applied once daily to the affected areas after fur is wetted :eek:, left to soak for 10 min, and then rinsed after application. I have been doing just that, making sure to blow dry (on cool) him after each application.

Koji does not like being handled, so I have been applying it while he is in his small carrier so that he has less wiggle room. But I was wondering if the burrito method might be a bit easier on him and us.

My only concern is that he may overheat during the process. My plan is to do 2 phases of the blanketing (1st during the wetting and medication application, then let him run around during the 10 mins the medication is to soak in, and 2nd when we have to rinse/dry him off). Will blow-drying him add to him overheating (blow dryer is set to cool setting)?

Furthermore, has anyone else had to do this procedure for their baby? Any tips on how to make this process less stressful on him and us would be much appreciated!

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this 💖💖

I have had to deal with fungus several times over the years and I've never done this. I use either Blu-Kote topical by itself or Blu-Kote along with a dust bath with antifungal foot powder in it. As far as being in a burrito, I handfeed chins and it takes around 15-20 minutes at a session and they are fine.

Thank you so much for your reply! And sorry for replying back so late 😅

It's been difficult to keep him wrapped for too long because he always manages to wriggle out HAHA So I have just been using the towel to "catch" him and then I position him against my body with one hand while supporting his rump and holding his tail with the other. This seems to be working out, even though I still get worried I'm being to rough with him (he doesn't bark or squeak though, but you know a mother's worries haha).

Good news is, it appears his ringworm is improving and hopefully he will be fully healed after 3 more weeks of treatment! ☺ (Doc also prescribed him oral meds so hopefully we can sucker-punch this fungi out!!)

Thank you again for your response, I really appreciate all the info from your experience!

Back