How do you know when to let go?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

UHgurl5621

Hi everyone,

Due my recent experiences, I thought maybe this may be a good post for others to read if they are going through what I am. Putting your chin to sleep has to be one of the most difficult decisions to ever make. I went through this less than a year ago with my other chin and I can't believe tomorrow I will be doing it again.

The reasonable side of me knows that I am doing the right thing, but then the "what ifs?" start happening and I second guess myself. I know I saw this a lot on the CnQ website too.

My chin Polo had x-rays done because he has had watery eyes (which was first attributed to allergies)and had dropped 150 grams they found that his lower roots were overgrown, but the vet did not think that it was close enough to his jawline to be causing him problems yet. There were no misalignments, no spurs. The front teeth were not overgrown.

We did blood work and his potassium was low and his liver enzymes were elevated. He put him on a potassium supplement, metcam for pain, baytril for his stomach and some vitamin C, along with Critical Care to make sure he was eating. Polo was doing fine for a little while, had gained a little weight, but then about the last 5 days he has gone completely down hill. He won't eat or drink hardly anything...this morning and tonight when I tried to feed him the critical care he took some but then looked like he gagged on it and looked to almost be choking a bit, which I had never seen.

All of that to be said, how close to the jawline does it need to be to cause pain? Does it sound like to everyone else that the root overgrowth is what is causing him to be like this?

Are there other things that can cause a chin to not eat? Say it was not the root overgrowth (not in my case), when a chin stops eating and drinking, do they ever turn around?

When do you know to let go?

Please do know that I am putting Polo to sleep in the morning. I am able to get some apple juice, a little critical care and the metcam in him, so I am hoping that he is as comfortable as he can be. I just finished giving him a dust bath because he loves them so much. I cannot watch him suffer and for me I know, even if it were not the tooth overgrowth causing this that he has no quality of life at this point. I can't put him through anything else. I hope everyone talking about this might help others in the future...this is one of the hardest decisions a person has to make.

He will be the last of my chins and at this point in my life I will not be getting another one. I will still be on here to help answer questions, though and give support where I can.

Thank you everyone for all of the help, wisdom and support you have given me with both Rugby and Polo! :cry4:

I'm sorry your going though this.
I think they tell us know when it's time to let go.We just need to listen.

You and Polo are in my thoughts!

I can't answer any of the questions you posed.

I want to say that I'm so sorry that you and Polo have gone through this. I can't imagine how painful this must be for you. I'll be thinking of both of you tomorrow morning.

Take care.

I am sorry for you both. What a hard decision.

I think it is differnt for each situation. But I believe when they are ready to give up they lose a spark that was in their eye. It is hard to explaine. But if you feel the quality of life has gone down it is time

Letting go IS the hardest thing you will do. You are certainly not doing it for yourself, but for your little furbaby who needs you right now. It all comes to quality. From your post it sounds like your baby isn't having much of that right now. If you are able, stay with him until he's gone. He will know you are there and in time you will be grateful you did. I'm so sorry you are going thru this. A piece of you will surely go with him. I've been thru this too many times to count if you need to talk you can pm me.
I will be thinking of you and your babies.....:tissue:

Trust your heart.

How lucky he is that he found his way to you, someone who cares enough to put his well-being ahead of her own happiness; not many people do that. You love him enough to do the hardest thing for you, letting him go. What a blessed chin.

For such small animals, they leave such huge footprints on our hearts. Be glad and rejoice in the love and companionship you shared during his time here. Do not be sad that his time was too short; all things happen for a reason. We may not understand it right away, but eventually it will be clear to you why this happened.

I'm sorry you have to make this decision.

Being able to say goodbye to a chin is the hardest but also the most unselfish thing you can do. I've had to put several animals to sleep, and it was when I realized that there was no longer the hope of a comfortable existence for them. Unfortunately malocclussion isn't one of those things that can heal itself and can be difficult to treat. The last few hours I had Q before I had her put down, I allowed her whatever she wanted to eat, including breaking a few rules as far as fresh fruit. I think she went to sleep with a happy heart; at least I hope so. Just make Polo's last hours as wonderful as possible. I always gave a dustbath right before we went to the vet to let them have that last happiness. If you need support, please feel free to PM me...like Pam, I've been through it quite a bit.

I am literaly crying as I read your post. I am very sorry that you and your chin are going through this and I'm also sorry that he will be your last chin :( I as you have been through this but cannot even imagine going through this again.
I had to put my Whiskers down this past December due to his malo. He also had lower jaw root elongation. My vet filed down his lower jaw molars to see if that would have helped him, and for almost 2 months I hand-fed him day and night. He did gain a little weight back but never fully recovered. Even though I would see him jump and play sometimes he mostly just rested in his house. He stopped using his wheel, stopped eating his hay and then I knew it was time when he refused his favorite treat. He loved the apple/banana Critical Care, he devoured it. When I took him in for another xray, the vet told me it was time to put him down. It didn't make it easier, but I knew that I had to it for him. Again, I am just so sorry.

You are doing the incredibly admirable, unselfish thing that most of us hope to never have to do. You know that your decision is the right one, and Polo knows that you love him. I am so sorry that you two are going through this, but you'll see each other again one day.

baytril for his stomach

Baytril is a very harsh drug for chins to be on, it will not help anything in the stomach, it is used to fight severe infections. I would be curious as to your vets judgment on this.

If the roots are long, they are hurting, they are growing through bone, imagine having the dentist drilling slowly into your jawline without numbing anything at all, just a tiny bit at a time.

As far as when it's time to let go, that is a personal decision. I always emphasis quality of life. Is that how you would want to live? Are they enjoying their life more than suffering?

Good luck, and best wishes on this hard time.

I too am sorry for what you are going through. I just want to say that you have us here if you need a shoulder to cry on. Most of us who have had to make that hurtful decission know your pain. Know this though; malo is a horrible painful thing for chins to go through and most don't make it. You should know in your heart that you are doing the last kindest thing for him and that is ridding him of his pain. Don't kill yourself over the what if's. We've all done it and it does you no good. You ARE doing what is right and he is lucky to have had you for a owner. He sounds as if he is suffering now and only you can save him. Take him out and spoil the heck out of him tonight (as much as you can). Tell him you love him and that you will see him again one day under the "rainbow bridge" Again I am soooooo sorry

*hug* I don't know what to say, putting a loved pet to sleep is always the hardest decision to make. You are so brave to be doing what u think is best for him, and not lethim go thru anymore pain.
I'm very sorry you had to make this decision.

Riven,

Sorry, you are right it was given to him to fight off infection, not for his stomach. He has been on so many things that I said the wrong thing. Thank you for correcting that. And thank you for your input! You are right about quality of life, someone else told me that a few days ago and that is what made the final decision...he is not really living right now if he can't eat and drink on his own or play.

Thank you also to everyone else for their kind words and thoughts and prayers, it means so much to me. I wish I would have known about this website years ago when I first got my chins. This is really helping me cope...

Hugs to everyone,
Jessica and Polo

Baytril is a very harsh drug for chins to be on, it will not help anything in the stomach, it is used to fight severe infections. I would be curious as to your vets judgment on this.

If the roots are long, they are hurting, they are growing through bone, imagine having the dentist drilling slowly into your jawline without numbing anything at all, just a tiny bit at a time.

As far as when it's time to let go, that is a personal decision. I always emphasis quality of life. Is that how you would want to live? Are they enjoying their life more than suffering?

Good luck, and best wishes on this hard time.

I had to fight some tears on this one just reading, I can't imagine what you're going through...
He's very lucky to have you, very lucky to have someone, as HedgeMom said, who is willing to put his happiness above their own and realize he's not really himself anymore. I hope if I ever have to make this decision that I have your strength. You're a very strong person. Someone said that they had molds or impressions of their chins paw prints made, maybe that's something your vet can offer, I'd ask. If you ever need anyone to talk to, you have us. I'm personally just a PM away.

It's almost too hard to even read this thread - it just breaks my heart. I wish all the best for you and your little friend.

Hi everyone,

I went to the vet this morning and now Polo is in a better place...he is no longer suffering. I got him creamated like I did Rugby and will eventually plant his ashes with some pretty flowers. The hardest part was coming home, walking into my bedroom and looking towards his cage. For a second I had forgotten he wasn't there and was upset when I realized he wasn't.

I am sorry for making others cry, but so much appreciate everyone's love, sympathy and support. Thank you all for everything! This is such a great forum!

:heart3: Jessica

Jessica, I am sad for you but glad that Polo has crossed rainbow bridge- with all the hay, rosehips, and A/C he could ever get!

R.I.P Polo

Back