How do you guys clean wood shavings and hay off of everything?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilBubs

Im a Slave 4 Bubs
I want to transition completely to fleece eventually, but for now we use aspen shavings in Bubs' pee area. As a result, any towels or blankets near/in the cage get totally covered in little bits of wood (and hay). They really like to cling so brushing them off is NOT easy. Do y'all know of an easy method to de-wood fabric items before washing them? I was thinking of trying something like this: http://smile.amazon.com/Household-E...=1398483930&sr=8-4&keywords=large+lint+roller but it's not hair I need removed, it's plant bits, so I don't know if it will work! Any ideas?

I just vacuum my fleece off, I don't use shavings anymore but I still have the chewed up wood and hay mess. I have a FN cage and use pillow case style pan covers on the half shelves and I just run the vacuum over them while still on. The bottom tray I have a fleece cover with a rectangle liner on top of it that I just take out and shake off as best I can then set it on the floor, weigh down the sides (one at a time with something heavy like the chill tiles), and vacuum.

I live in an apartment, so my fleece shaking takes place in my bathroom. Shake the fleece as hard as you can, then toss it in the wash with some white vinegar. Shaking makes a big mess, but it is the best way I've found to remove the shavings and wood bits.

Shake, shake and shake. Hand pick off pieces until you get angry at it. :wacko:Then use the lint roller (lots of it....buy 3M in bulk at Costco!) and wash. In the end, this was the reason for me giving up on fleece inside cages. I still use them outside or between cages.:impatient: In Ferret Nation type cages I just have a Bass pan and tiles with a 10" baking dish of shavings which I train them to pee in. Spot clean occasional pee and vacuum out poop. So much faster and easier than fleece.:thumbsup:

I use no fleece, their cages are 100% tile with a built in pee spot that has shavings, I just suck up the shavings, no more mess.

Lots of good ideas! Thanks everyone. So far I've been doing the shake/vacuum/vinegar method, but my washer has been acting funny so I'm worried I've still been clogging it up with too much wood. At least I know I'm not missing an obvious fix haha. I'll get a lint roller and just shake harder X_X

I vacuum it and it ends up almost spotless. While I hate the vacuum, it works well. It's an old model that my parents used before I was born. There usually isn't too much hay since I keep it in a hammock. :]

I wash it with an odorless detergent and it's clean. :]

Back