How did your furbabies get their names?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kolchak came from the title of the series of the same name from the 70s that starred Darren McGavin where he was a reporter that took on all sorts of paranormal critters.

Chimi came with her name when I first got her. She was thought to be a boy at first but when I took her to the vet he was a she. I decided since she should just keep her name since she's 6 years old.
Lilith my boyfriend named because it's a demon and she had red eyes(a beige). But she's my little sweet girl.

Jacoby is named after Jacoby Jones of the Baltimore Ravens. He makes us laugh and is super fast so it was an easy decision. He looks like a Jacoby lol.

I name my chinchillas after either their personality, or looks. I had a golden chinchilla which I named Noon, and his standard carrier partner Midnight.

I wanted a name that sounded cool and tough for chinchilla just to be ironic. I also knew I wanted something that was sometime related to video games or comics or something since that was my hobby. I started thinking of companion characters from different series and ended up talking about Mass Effect with my boyfriend.

I liked the name Garrus and I liked the character a lot. Then my boyfriend added on the last name Chinchillarian as a twist to the character's last name, Vakarian. The name just stuck.

I was very pleased to see Garrus growing with a nice silvery coat since his namesake character was also a dusty gray color.

Some of you guys are so creative. When I first got her home, I laughed about how round she was, she looked like a little blueberry. So thats what we named her :)

Leo or Leonardo sort of just fits him but I also sort of named him after the teenage mutant ninja turtels

Yuki was named when I got him. I was told it's Japanese for Snow. He's a mosaic thats mostly white. I sometimes call him "ratfink" as an endearment, and since they are rodents my next may actually be named Fink. It seems to fit the little troublemakers. But it al depends on the particular chin and if I get one with a name. Yuki isnt something I would have picked, but he was six so I want going to change it. (although my mom and sister were pushing for Yogi, as in the cartoon Yogi bear, if I did that I have no doubt the second would have had to have been Bo-Bo)

Tucker, Gizmo, Shiloh and Luna all had names when I got them so I left them.

Chase - I changed his name to Chase, after a character on One Tree Hill.

Pip and Squeak got their names as babies when I was told I wasn't allowed to keep them I referred to them as the Pip Squeaks, and the names stuck.

MaveRick - A friend named him after a character on Top Gun.

Macy - Didn't know what to name her and came across that name that a chin friends chin was named. Ask him if he minded that I use the name and of course he didn't, so she became Macy.

Dessy came to us as Martha, but we decided she needed a better name. My boyfriend was amazed and somewhat concerned at how quickly she could chew through her flimsier toys. Thus, he suggested Destroyer of All the Things, Dessy for short.

Our two boys are named Tango and Cash, our black one got his name after Johny Cash and Tango fitted from the film.:laughitup:

Shadow cause he is grey and i wanted to name him based on his color. Plus it was around Christmas time and there was a movie in 2005 about dogs in alaska and one was named Shadow. His middle name Noel means Christmas. I got him Christmas Eve. :)

Ferdinand I just thought was a cute name, he's into everything so figured he was a little explorer.

Chimney came with the name

Xeldon: He was named Sheldon by his previous owner. I have a naming theme where I don't use the same initial letter for more than one pet (I have a rabbit named Sophia), so I changed the Sh to an X. Some languages pronounce the X as a sh.
Aldo: The son of Xeldon. I named him by taking four letters out of the word "adorable" and mixing them. It also happens to be the name of a famous conservationist Aldo Leopold.
Chaska, Taruka, and Kiyari: Inca names. Since chinchillas are from South America, I thought it would be cool to have some with Inca names.

I named her Carol because my favorite fictional character is Carol Peletier from The Walking Dead.

I think we can all guess where Nibbles got her name.

Snuggles and grumpy look exactly the same. Most people ask which one is which and the response is try to pet it. If I hear a keck I know they were talking about grumpy lol!!

Tessa came with her name.

I got Minnie when I was about ten, so of course, I named her the only name that made sense at the time for a small fluffy rodent. Years later, I sometimes regret the name, but I've kept it the same (for her sake more than mine...) After about four years, I decided to get her two more friends, and I began with wanting to name them after Mickey Mouse characters (Daisy and ???) but I ended up deciding on the common M name. Many options were sorted through; Missy, Misty, Margot, Mimsy, Maddie... but I eventually decided on Millie and Maisie. It's annoying how similar the two are.. The only difference in their shade of their eyebrows! (Maisie has the lighter eyebrows ;) ) And now, they are happily living in their brand new critter nation cage! Happy ending!

I was watching a lot of Vampire Diaries at the time. Elijah is one of the characters and it is a name I like and had in mind at the time lol

Eli for short is just adorable sounding too :))

Back