How Can She Still Be Pregnant??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the babies. My triplet litters are usually in the 40g range so that's a good average weight on those kits. Just make sure to keep an eye on them for squabbling if her milk doesn't come in fast enough. Trips and quads are notorious for fighting and sometimes the kits need to be rotated or supplemented.

Congrats! Those are three adorable babies! I second what Sumiko said about watching for fighting as well. They all look like light ebony or standard eb carriers. Can't tell a whole lot without belly shots but they are pretty light overall.

Girl
IMG_0653.jpg

Boy
IMG_0654.jpg

;)

I've had goat replacer milk on hand for days now because she was so big and I was worried about the litter size. They are in our bedroom and I'm home all week so they are being closely monitored.

They are in my Rottweiler's food dish :p She came in while I had the babies out and licked one of them. She raises bottle kittens so I'm sure she thought it was just another fuzzy to clean. Silly animals!

Oops! Yes, there are 2 standards and one light ebony. My guess in the dark this morning was a bit optimistic as to their color. Still pretty sure that they are all girls.

My step-daughters went back to their mom's house last night and won't be back for 2 weeks and my son is in Texas with his Grandma until Friday. Needless to say that none of my children are happy right now. Pictures just aren't the same as real life fuzz butts :)

Thanks for all the warm wishes everyone!

Ok, lets check my sexing skills. The pics aren't great but they are the best I can do tonight, its been a very long day. Pic 1 is Blue baby, 2 is Green baby, and 3 is plain baby. The others are just for fun :)

The color designation is so that when Joe and I talk about them we are on the same page.

That is my geriatric, de-clawed, bomb-proof cat Mystic wondering what in the world we have brought home now and what we expect her to do with them. She just kept looking at me like "really Mom?".

Attachments

• Blue Baby.jpg
    Blue Baby.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Green Baby.jpg
    Green Baby.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Plain Baby.jpg
    Plain Baby.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 100_2810.jpg
    100_2810.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_2811.jpg
    100_2811.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Even more than I am worried about her attacking them (as you said, she is old, tired, and really doesn't care to chase) cats are carriers of pasteurella, which is almost always fatal to chinchillas. It's carried in their saliva, which they clean themselves with, so it can be on the fur and get on those babies. I would keep them far apart.

#1 looks like a girl. The other two I can't see well enough to decide.

I appreciate everyone's concerns about the cat and if it were any cat other than her I would agree. She has never had any sort of prey drive and I would, without hesitation, bet my own life that she isn't going to develop any at her advanced age. As for the concern that they could catch something from her, although it is remotely possible, it is highly unlikely. I have been a vet tech for a long time now and am very well educated on pathogens that can cross species. The chance of the babies catching anything from my strictly indoor cat standing next to them is slim. I am not being flippant about their health, I assure you. I do a lot of rescue work as well and everyone here is very well taken care of.

As for being unsure of my sexing skills...heck, even after all these years I still can't reliably sex kittens until they are several weeks old, its just not my best thing.

Congrats on the kits! Adorable! I havent had any kits thus far that havent been very obvious as far as sexing goes... I am always so anxious with kits so generally within an hour or so I've got them out for weights and sexing! I do always "recheck" sexes for several days, lol.

Back